- A room or space used for assembly purposes by fewer than 75 persons and accessory to another occupancy shall be included as a part of that occupancy.
- A building or nonaccessory tenant space used for assembly purposes by fewer than 75 persons shall be considered a Group B occupancy.
- A-1 Assembly uses, usually with fixed seating, intended for the production and viewing of the performing arts or motion pictures including, but not limited to:
Motion picture theaters
Symphony and concert halls
Television and radio studios admitting an audience
- A-2 Assembly uses intended for food and/or drink consumption including, but not limited to:
Cafeterias, except as provided for in A-3
Dance halls Night clubs Restaurants Taverns and bars
- A-3 Assembly uses intended for worship, recreation or amusement and other assembly uses not classified elsewhere in Group A including, but not limited to:
Cafeterias for children up to and including the 12th gradeCommunity halls
Classrooms and instructional rooms with 75 persons or more; such rooms with fewer than 75 persons shall be classified as Group B or E
Custodial care facilities with 75 or more persons, providing care to persons over the age of 2, where no more than four occupants are incapable of responding to an emergency situation without physical assistance from staffDance studio or instruction (not including food or drink consumption)
Gymnasiums (without spectator seating)
Houses of worship
Indoor swimming pools (without spectator seating)
Indoor tennis courts (without spectator seating)
Waiting areas in transportation terminals
Pool and billiard parlors
- A-4 Assembly uses intended for viewing of indoor sporting events and activities with spectator seating including, but not limited to:
- Classrooms and instructional rooms with 75 or more persons shall be classified as Group A-3.
- Day care services provided within a dwelling unit as described in Section 310.
- Custodial care facilities with up to 30 children under the age of 2 are permitted to be classified as Group E when the rooms where such children are cared for are located on the level of exit discharge and each of these child care rooms has an exit door directly to the exterior.
|MATERIAL||STORAGEd||USE-CLOSED SYSTEMSd||USE-OPEN SYSTEMSd|
|Solid poundse,f||Liquid gallons
(standard cubic foot)$
|Solid poundse||Liquid gallons
(standard cubic foot)$
|Solid poundse||Liquid gallons
|Corrosive||5,000||500||810f, g||5,000||500||810f, g
- For use of control areas, see Section 414.2.
- In retail and wholesale sales occupancies, the quantities of medicines, foodstuffs, consumer or industrial products, and cosmetics, containing not more than 50 per - cent by volume of water - miscible liquids and with the remainder of the solutions not being flammable, shall not be limited, provided that such materials are pack - aged in individual containers not exceeding 1.3 gallons.
- For storage and display quantities in Group M and storage quantities in Group S occupancies complying with the New York City Fire Code.
- The aggregate quantity in storage, handling and use shall not exceed the quantity listed for storage.
- Quantities shall be increased 100 percent in buildings equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1. Where Note f also applies, the increase for both notes shall be applied accumulatively.
- Quantities may be increased 100 percent when stored in approved storage cabinets, gas cabinets or exhausted enclosures as specified in the New York City Fire Code. Where Note e applies, the quantities increased shall be as set forth in both notes.
- A single container of anhydrous ammonia containing not more than 150 pounds in a single control area in a nonsprinklered building shall be considered a maxi - mum allowable quantity. Two containers of anhydrous ammonia, each containing not more than 150 pounds, shall be considered a maximum allowable quantity provided the building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.
- Allowed only when stored in approved exhausted gas cabinets or exhausted enclosures as specified in the New York City Fire Code.
- Quantities in parenthesis indicate qua ntity units in parenthesis at the head of each column.
- For gallons of liquids, divide the amount in pounds by 10 in accordance with the New York City Fire Code.
- The maximum allowable quantities shall be limited by Section 419 for chemical laboratories classified as Occupancy Group B and operating as nonproduction facilities for testing, research, experimental, instructional or education purposes.
- Residential buildings or spaces occupied, as a rule, transiently, for a period less than one month, as the more or less temporary abode of individuals or families who are lodged with or without meals, including, but not limited to, the following:
Class B multiple dwellings as defined in Section 27-2004 of the New York City Housing Maintenance Code and Section 4 of the New York State Multiple Dwelling Law
- College or school student dormitories, except for student apartments classified as an R-2 occupancy
- Congregate living units owned and operated by a government agency or not-for-profit organization, where the number of occupants in the dwelling unit exceeds the limitations of a family as defined, including, but not limited to, the following:
Adult homes or enriched housing with 16 or fewer occupants requiring supervised care within the same building on a 24-hour basis
Fraternity and sorority houses
- Dwelling units where the resident of the unit provides custodial care to no more than four persons on less than a 24-hour basis and not overnight.
- Dwelling units where the resident of the unit provides child custodial care as a family day care home registered with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene in accordance with the New York State Social Services Law with no more than six children between the ages of 2 and 13, or with no more than five children if any are under the age of 2, receiving supervised care on less than a 24-hour basis and not overnight.