Buffing operations shall be located in a room separated from the remainder of the building housing the tire rebuilding or tire recapping operations by a 1-hour fire barrier.
Exception: Buffing operations are not required to be separated where all of the following conditions are met:
- Buffing operations are equipped with an approved continuous automatic water-spray system directed at the point of cutting action;
- Buffing machines are connected to particle-collecting systems providing a minimum air movement of 1,500 cubic feet per minute (cfm) (0.71 m3/s) in volume and 4,500 feet per minute (fpm) (23 m/s) in-line velocity; and
- The collecting system shall discharge the rubber particles to an approved outdoor noncombustible or fire-resistant container, which is emptied at frequent intervals to prevent overflow.
Where the bulk volume of stored product is more than 150,000 cubic feet (4248 m3), storage arrangement shall be in accordance with the following:
- Individual storage piles shall comply with size and separation requirements in Sections 3405.1 through 3405.5.
- Adjacent storage piles shall be considered a group, and the aggregate volume of storage piles in a group shall not exceed 150,000 cubic feet (4248 m3).
Separation between groups shall be at least 75 feet (22 860 mm) wide.