- Where such required elements or devices are being altered or repaired, adequate substitute provisions shall be made.
- Maintenance of such elements and devices is not required when the existing building is not occupied.
PROTECTION OF PEDESTRIANS
|HEIGHT OF |
|DISTANCE FROM CONSTRUCTION TO LOT LINE||TYPE OF PROTECTION REQUIRED|
|8 feet or less||Less than 5 feet||Construction railings|
|5 feet or more||None|
|More than 8 feet||Less than 5 feet||Barrier and covered walkway|
|5 feet or more, but not more than one-fourth the height of construction||Barrier and covered walkway|
|5 feet or more, but between one-fourth and one-half the height of construction||Barrier|
|5 feet or more, but exceeding one-half the height of construction||None|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
- Barriers shall be provided with 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) top and bottom plates.
- The barrier material shall be boards not less than 3/4-inch (19.1 mm) thick or wood structural panels not less than 1/4-inch (6.4 mm) thick.
- Wood structural use panels shall be bonded with an adhesive identical to that for exterior wood structural use panels.
- Wood structural use panels 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) or 5/16 inch (23.8 mm) in thickness shall have studs spaced not more than 2 feet (610 mm) on center (o.c.).
- Wood structural use panels 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) or 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) in thickness shall have studs spaced not more than 4 feet (1219 mm) on center provided a 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) stiffener is placed horizontally at midheight where the stud spacing is greater than 2 feet (610 mm) on center.
- Wood structural use panels 5/8 inch (15.9 mm) or thicker shall not span over 8 feet (2438 mm).
Covered walkways shall have a clear height of not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) as measured from the floor surface to the canopy overhead. Adequate lighting shall be provided at all times. Covered walkways shall be designed to support all imposed loads. In no case shall the design live load be less than 150 psf (7.2 kN/m2) for the entire structure.
Exception: Roofs and supporting structures of covered walkways for new, light-frame construction not exceeding two stories above grade plane are permitted to be designed for a live load of 75 psf (3.6kN/m2) or the loads imposed on them, whichever is greater. In lieu of such designs, the roof and supporting structure of a covered walkway are permitted to be constructed as follows:
- Footings shall be continuous 2-inch by 6-inch (51 mm by 152 mm) members.
- Posts not less than 4 inches by 6 inches (102 mm by 152 mm) shall be provided on both sides of the roof and spaced not more than 12 feet (3658 mm) on center.
- Stringers not less than 4 inches by 12 inches (102 mm by 305 mm) shall be placed on edge upon the posts.
- Joists resting on the stringers shall be not less than 2 inches by 8 inches (51 mm by 203 mm) and shall be spaced not more than 2 feet (610 mm) on center.
- The deck shall be planks not less than 2 inches (51 mm) thick or wood structural panels with an exterior exposure durability classification not less than 23/32 inch (18.3 mm) thick nailed to the joists.
- Each post shall be knee braced to joists and stringers by members not less than 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm); 4 feet (1219 mm) in length.
- A curb which is not less than 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) shall be set on edge along the outside edge of the deck.
All structures under construction, alteration or demolition shall be provided with no fewer than one approved portable fire extinguisher in accordance with Section 906 and sized for not less than ordinary hazard as follows: