This chapter governs the design and construction of buildings for energy efficiency.
Buildings shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the International Energy Conservation Code.
The following changes shall be made to the IECC:
- Change the exception to Section C405.1 to read:
- Change Section C405.6 to read:
- Delete Section R401.3.
- Change the ceiling R-value and wood frame wall R-value categories for climate zone “4 except Marine” in Table R402.1.1 to read:
- Change the ceiling U-factor and frame wall U-factor categories for climate zone “4 except Marine” in Table R402.1.3 to read:
- Change Sections R402.2.1 and R402.2.4 to read:
- Change the title of the “Criteria” category of Table R402.4.1.1; change the “Walls,” “Shower/tub on exterior wall” and “Fireplace” categories of Table R402.4.1.1, and add footnotes “b” and “c” to Table R402.4.1.1 to read:
- b. Structural integrity of headers shall be in accordance with the applicable building code.
- c. Air barriers used behind showers and tubs on exterior walls shall be of a permeable material that does not cause the entrapment of moisture in the stud cavity.
- Change Section R402.4.1.2 and add Sections R402.4.1.2.1, R402.4.1.2.2 and R402.4.1.3 to read:
- Exterior windows and doors and fireplace and stove doors shall be closed, but not sealed beyond the intended weatherstripping or other infiltration control measures;
- Dampers, including exhaust, intake, makeup air, backdraft and flue dampers, shall be closed, but not sealed beyond intended infiltration control measures;
- Interior doors, if installed at the time of the test, shall be open;
- Exterior doors for continuous ventilation systems and heat recovery ventilators shall be closed and sealed;
- Heating and cooling systems, if installed at the time of the test, shall be turned off; and
- Supply and return registers, if installed at the time of the test, shall be fully open.
- Change Section R403.1.1 to read:
- Change Section R403.2.2 to read:
- Air-impermeable spray foam products shall be permitted to be applied without additional joint seals.
- Where a duct connection is made that is partially inaccessible, three screws or rivets shall be equally spaced on the exposed portion of the joint so as to prevent a hinge effect.
- Continuously welded and locking-type longitudinal joints and seams in ducts operating at static pressures less than 2 inches of water column (500 Pa) pressure classification shall not require additional closure systems.
- Change Section R403.2.2.1 to read:
- Post-construction test: Total leakage shall be less than or equal to 6 cfm (169.9 L/min) per 100 square feet (9.29 m2) of conditioned floor area when tested at a pressure differential of 0.1 inch w.g. (25 Pa) across the entire system, including the manufacturer’s air handler enclosure. All register boots shall be taped or otherwise sealed during the test.
- Rough-in test: Total leakage shall be less than or equal to 5 cfm (141.5 L/min) per 100 square feet (9.29 m2) of conditioned floor area when tested at a pressure differential of 0.1 inch w.g. (25 Pa) across the system, including the manufacturer’s air handler enclosure. All register boots shall be taped or otherwise sealed during the test. If the air handler is not installed at the time of the test, total leakage shall be less than or equal to 5 cfm (141.5 L/min) per 100 square feet (9.29 m2) of conditioned floor area.
- Add Section R403.2.2.2 to read:
- Add Section R403.2.2.3 to read:
- Change Section R403.4.2 to read:
- Piping larger than 3/4 inch nominal diameter.
- Piping serving more than one dwelling unit.
- Piping located outside the conditioned space.
- Piping from the water heater to a distribution manifold.
- Piping located under a floor slab.
- Buried piping.
- Supply and return piping in recirculation systems other than demand recirculation systems.
- Delete Table R403.4.2.
- Change Section R403.6 to read:
- The specified equipment or appliance utilizes multi-stage technology or variable refrigerant flow technology and the loads calculated in accordance with the approved heating and cooling methodology fall within the range of the manufacturer’s published capacities for that equipment or appliance.
- The specified equipment or appliance manufacturer’s published capacities cannot satisfy both the total and sensible heat gains calculated in accordance with the approved heating and cooling methodology and the next larger standard size unit is specified.
- The specified equipment or appliance is the lowest capacity unit available from the specified manufacturer.
- Change Section R404.1 to read:
- Change the “Glazing” and “Air exchange rate” categories of Table R405.5.2(1) to read:
|CEILING R-VALUE||WOOD FRAME WALL R-VALUE|
|38||15 or 13 + 1h|
|CEILING U-FACTOR||FRAME WALL U-FACTOR|
|Walls||Cavities within corners and headers |
shall be insulated by completely filling
the cavity with a material having aminimum thermal resistance of R-3 per inch.
sill plate shall be sealed.
of exterior walls shall be sealed.
for framed walls shall be installed in
substantial contact and continuousalignment with the air barrier.
Knee walls shall be sealed.
|Exterior walls adjacent to showers |
and tubs shall be insulated, and an air
barrier shall be installed on the interiorside of the exterior wall, adjacent
to the shower or tub.
|Fireplace||An air barrier shall be installed on |
gasketed doors or tight-fitting fluedampers.
Total areab is 15% of the conditioned floor area.
Orientation: equally distributed to four cardinal compass orientations (N, E, S & W).
U-factor: from Table N1102.1.3 (R402.1.3).
SHGC: From Table N1102.1.1 (R402.1.1) except that for climates with no requirement(NR) SHGC = 0.40 shall be used.
Interior shade fraction: 0.92-(0.21 x SHGC for the standard reference design)
External shading: none.
0.92-(0.21 x SHGC as proposed)
|Air leakage rate of 5 air changes per hour at a pressure of 0.2 inches w.g (50 Pa). |
The mechanical ventilation rate shall be in addition to the air leakage rate and the
same as in the proposed design, but no greater than 0.01 × CFA + 7.5 × (Nbr + 1)
CFA = conditioned floor area
Nbr = number of bedroomsEnergy recovery shall not be assumed for mechanical ventilation.
|For residences that are not tested, the |
same air leakage rate as the standard
reference design. For tested residences,the measured air exchange ratec.
The mechanical ventilation rated shall
be in addition to the air leakage rateand shall be as proposed.