About this appendix: When the design analysis and methodology are not based on authoritative documents or design guides, the method of validation in Appendix C may be used in lieu of code provisions. This code requires a peer review in Section 103.3.4 for any methods falling into this category.
Individually substantiated design methods shall comply with one or more of the following:
- A process to evaluate design options against the performance objectives and functional statements shall be provided.
- A comparison, signed and sealed by the registered design professional in responsible charge, between the prescriptive requirements and this design method shall be provided.
- Peer review shall be provided.
- Reports prepared by the evaluation services shall be documented.
- This method shall not negatively impact the remainder of the building that complies with the prescriptive codes.
- The data substantiating the building performance as a whole shall accompany the design solution.
- This method shall address the actual use of the building, including but not limited to the number of people, fuel load, awareness and mobility of the people.
- The methodology for validation of this method for the project shall be acceptable to the registered design professional in responsible charge and the code official.
- This method shall be substantiated by a system-based approach using not less than two acceptable scenarios to demonstrate compliance with design objectives and code provisions.