About this chapter: Inevitably, various emergencies, including medical emergencies, occur at buildings and facilities. Chapter 20 deals with notifying appropriate individuals that an emergency exists and providing suitable access and facilities for emergency operations and responders. This chapter is intended to address the need for some manual action to preserve the safety of people, and limit damage to a building or structure and its contents.
As appropriate to the design performance level in Chapter 3, the following shall be addressed:
- Provide and maintain appropriate access for emergency vehicles.
- Provide and maintain appropriate access for emergency responders.
- Provide and maintain necessary staging, command and control areas, support facilities and equipment for emergency operations.
- Provide sufficient, reliable water for fire-fighting operations.
- Provide and maintain appropriate means of promptly notifying emergency responders.
- Where required, provide and maintain adequate means of occupant notification to warn of the presence of a fire or other emergency in sufficient time to enable occupants to take the contemplated action without being exposed to unreasonable risk of injury or death.
Notification of occupants shall be by means appropriate to the needs of the occupants, the use of the building and the emergency egress strategy employed.