- Grading in an isolated, self-contained area, provided there is no danger to the public, and that such grading will not adversely affect adjoining properties.
- Excavation for construction of a structure permitted under this code.
- Cemetery graves.
- Refuse disposal sites controlled by other regulations.
- Excavations for wells, or trenches for utilities.
- Mining, quarrying, excavating, processing or stockpiling rock, sand, gravel, aggregate or clay controlled by other regulations, provided such operations do not affect the lateral support of, or significantly increase stresses in, soil on adjoining properties.
- Exploratory excavations performed under the direction of a registered design professional.
Exemption from the permit requirements of this appendix shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
- The nature and distribution of existing soils;
- Conclusions and recommendations for grading procedures;
- Soil design criteria for any structures or embankments required to accomplish the proposed grading; and
- Where necessary, slope stability studies, and recommendations and conclusions regarding site geology.
- A cut surface shall be permitted to be at a slope of 1.5 units horizontal to one unit vertical (67-percent slope) provided that all of the following are met:
- It is not intended to support structures or surcharges.
- It is adequately protected against erosion.
- It is no more than 8 feet (2438 mm) in height.
- It is approved by the building code official.
- Ground water is not encountered.
- A cut surface in bedrock shall be permitted to be at a slope of one unit horizontal to one unit vertical (100-percent slope).
- Setbacks greater than those required by Figure J108.1.
- Provisions for retaining walls or similar construction.
- Erosion protection of the fill slopes.
- Provision for the control of surface waters.
Where more than two terraces are required, one terrace, located at approximately mid-height, shall be at least 12 feet (3658 mm) in width.
Swales or ditches shall be provided on terraces. They shall have a minimum gradient of 20 horizontal to 1 vertical (5 percent) and shall be paved with concrete not less than 3 inches (76 mm) in thickness, or with other materials suitable to the application. They shall have a minimum depth of 12 inches (305 mm) and a minimum width of 5 feet (1524 mm).
A single run of swale or ditch shall not collect runoff from a tributary area exceeding 13,500 square feet (1256 m2) (projected) without discharging into a down drain.
Erosion control for the slopes shall be installed as soon as practicable and prior to calling for final inspection.
|ASTM D 1557-07||Test Method for Laboratory Compaction Characteristics |
of Soil Using Modified Effort [56,000 ft-lb/ft3 (2,700kN-m/m3)].