Exception: Where dryers or other sources of ignition are protected by a supervised automatic sprinkler system complying with Section 903.
Exception: The size of cold decks shall be determined by the fire code official where the decks are protected by special fire protection including, but not limited to, additional fire flow, portable turrets and deluge sets, and hydrant hose houses equipped with approved fire-fighting equipment capable of reaching the entire storage area in accordance with Chapter 9.
Exception: The fire code official is authorized to allow the pile size to be increased where additional fire protection is provided in accordance with Chapter 9. The increase shall be based on the capabilities of the system installed.
Exception: The fire code official is authorized to allow the pile size to be increased where a fire protection plan is provided for approval that includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Storage yard areas and materials-handling equipment selection, design and arrangement shall be based upon sound fire prevention and protection principles.
- Factors that lead to spontaneous heating shall be identified in the plan, and control of the various factors shall be identified and implemented, including provisions for monitoring the internal condition of the pile.
- The plan shall include means for early fire detection and reporting to the public fire department; and facilities needed by the fire department for fire extinguishment including a water supply and fire hydrants.
- Fire apparatus access roads around the piles and access roads to the top of the piles shall be established, identified and maintained.
- Regular yard inspections by trained personnel shall be included as part of an effective fire prevention maintenance program.