Exception: Buildings in which the reconfiguration of space affecting exits or shared egress access is exclusively the result of compliance with the accessibility requirements of Section 705.2 shall not be required to comply with this chapter.
- Steam boiler equipment operating at pressures of 15 pounds per square inch gauge (psig) (103.4 KPa) or less is not required to be enclosed.
- Hot water boilers operating at pressures of 170 psig (1171 KPa) or less are not required to be enclosed.
- Furnace and boiler equipment with 400,000 British thermal units (Btu) (4.22 × 108 J) per hour input rating or less is not required to be enclosed.
- Furnace rooms protected with an automatic sprinkler system are not required to be enclosed.
Exception: Where alterations or repairs do not result in the removal of wall or ceiling finishes exposing the structure, walls are not required to be continuous through concealed floor spaces.
- A Group F-1 occupancy used for the manufacture of upholstered furniture or mattresses exceeds 2,500 square feet (232 m2).
- A Group M occupancy used for the display and sale of upholstered furniture or mattresses exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).
- A Group S-1 occupancy used for the storage of upholstered furniture or mattresses exceeds 2,500 square feet (232 m2).
1. Alarm-initiating and notification appliances shall not be required to be installed in tenant spaces outside of the work area.
2. Visual alarm notification appliances are not required, except where an existing alarm system is upgraded or replaced or where a new fire alarm system is installed.
1. Buildings of Group R occupancy with no more than five dwelling or sleeping units used solely for residential purposes that are altered based on the conventional light-frame construction methods of the International Building CodeSouth Carolina Building Code or in compliance with the provisions of the International Residential CodeSouth Carolina Residential Code.
2. Where such alterations involve only the lowest story of a building and the change of occupancy provisions of Chapter 10 do not apply, only the lateral force-resisting components in and below that story need comply with this section.