Emergency shutoff switches shall be provided with an audible alarm rated at not less than 80 decibel sound pressure level and a light near the spa that will operate continuously until deactivated when the shutoff switch is operated. The following statements shall appear on a sign that is posted in a location that is visible from the spa:
ALARM INDICATES SPA PUMPS OFF. DO NOT USE SPA WHEN ALARM SOUNDS AND LIGHT IS ILLUMINATED UNTIL ADVISED OTHERWISE.
Water temperature regulating controls shall comply with UL 873 or UL 372. A means shall be provided to indicate the water temperature in the spa.
Exception: Water temperature regulating controls that are integral to the heating appliance and listed in accordance with the applicable end use appliance standard.
Operational signs shall include, but not be limited to, the following messages as required by the local jurisdiction:
- Do not allow the use of or operate spa if the suction outlet cover is missing, damaged or loose.
- Check spa temperature before each use. Do not enter the spa if the temperature is above 104°F (40°C).
- Keep breakable objects out of the spa area.
- Spa shall not be operated during severe weather conditions.
- Never place electrical appliances within 5 feet (1524 mm) of the spa.
- No diving.