About this appendix: Appendix N provides jurisdictions with a means of incorporating guidelines for replicable buildings into their building code adoption process. The intent of these provisions is to give jurisdictions a means of streamlining their document review process while verifying code compliance.
Code development reminder: Code change proposals to this appendix will be considered by the IBC—Structural Code Development Committee during the 2019 (Group B) Code Development Cycle. See explanation on page iv.
Such programs allow a jurisdiction to recover from a natural disaster faster and allow for consistent application of the codes for replicable building projects. It will result in faster turnaround for the end user, and a quicker turnaround through the plan review process.
The following words and terms shall, for the purposes of this appendix, have the meanings shown herein.
REPLICABLE BUILDING. A building or structure utilizing a replicable design.
REPLICABLE DESIGN. A prototypical design developed for application in multiple locations with minimal variation or modification.
A replicable design shall establish prototypical construction documents for application at multiple locations. The construction documents shall include details appropriate to each wind region, seismic design category, Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), and climate zone for locations in which the replicable design is intended for application. Application of replicable design shall not vary with regard to the following, except for allowable variations in accordance with Section N106.
- Use and occupancy classification.
- Building heights and area limitations.
- Type of construction classification.
- Fire-resistance ratings.
- Interior finishes.
- Fire protection system.
- Means of egress.
- Structural design criteria.
- Energy efficiency.
- Type of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Type of plumbing system and number of fixtures.
- Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).
Where approval of the architectural requirements of the replicable design is sought, the submittal documents shall include architectural plans and specifications as follows:
- Description of uses and the proposed occupancy groups for all portions of the building.
- Proposed type of construction of the building.
- Fully dimensioned drawings to determine building areas and height.
- Adequate details and dimensions to evaluate means of egress, including occupant loads for each floor, exit arrangement and sizes, corridors, doors and stairs.
- Exit signs and means of egress lighting, including power supply.
- Accessibility scoping provisions.
- Description and details of proposed special occupancies such as a covered mall, high-rise, mezzanine, atrium and public garage.
- Adequate details to evaluate fire-resistance-rated construction requirements, including data substantiating required ratings.
- Details for plastics, insulation and safety glazing installation.
- Details of required fire protection systems.
- Material specifications demonstrating fire-resistance criteria.
Where approval of the structural requirements of the replicable design is sought, the submittal documents shall include details for each wind region, seismic design category, Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), and climate zone for which approval is sought; and shall include the following:
- Signed and sealed structural design calculations that support the member sizes on the drawings.
- Design load criteria, including: frost depth, live loads, snow loads, flood loads, wind loads, earthquake design date, and other special loads.
- Details of foundations and superstructure.
- Provisions for special inspections.
Where approval of the energy conservation requirements of the replicable design is sought, the submittal documents shall include details for each climate zone for which approval is sought; and shall include the following:
- Climate zones for which approval is sought.
- Building envelope details.
- Building mechanical system details.
- Details of electrical power and lighting systems.
- Provisions for system commissioning.
Architectural plans and specifications shall include the following:
The building official shall verify that the replicable design submitted for site-specific application is the same as the approved replicable design reviewed by the approved agency. In addition, the building official shall review the following for code compliance.