Part I — Drainage Systems
- No galvanized wrought-iron or galvanized steel pipe shall be used underground and shall be kept not less than 6 inches (152 mm) aboveground.
- ABS and PVC DWV piping installations shall be installed in accordance with applicable standards referenced in Table 701.2 and Chapter 14 "Firestop Protection." Except for individual single-family dwelling units, materials exposed within ducts or plenums shall have a flame-spread index of not more than 25 and a smoke-developed index of not more than 50, where tested in accordance with ASTM E84 or UL 723. Plastic piping installed in plenums shall be tested in accordance with all requirements of ASTM E84 or UL 723. Mounting methods, supports and sample sizes of materials for testing that are not specified in ASTM E84 or UL 723 shall be prohibited.
- No vitrified clay pipe or fittings shall be used aboveground or where pressurized by a pump or ejector. They shall be kept not less than 12 inches (305 mm) belowground.
- Copper or copper alloy tube for drainage and vent piping shall have a weight of not less than that of copper or copper alloy drainage tube type DWV.
- Stainless steel 304 pipe and fittings shall not be installed underground and shall be kept not less than 6 inches (152 mm) aboveground.
- Cast-iron soil pipe and fittings and the stainless steel couplings used to join these products shall be listed and tested in accordance with standards referenced in Table 701.2. Such pipe and fittings shall be marked with the country of origin, manufacturer's name or registered trademark as defined in the product standards, the third party certifier's mark, and the class of the pipe or fitting.
|MATERIAL||UNDERGROUND DRAIN, WASTE, VENT PIPE AND FITTINGS||ABOVEGROUND DRAIN, WASTE, VENT PIPE AND FITTINGS||BUILDING SEWER PIPE AND FITTINGS||REFERENCED STANDARD(S) PIPE||REFERENCED STANDARD(S) FITTINGS|
|ABS (Schedule 40)||X||X||X||ASTM D2661, ASTM D2680*||ASME A112.4.4, ASTM D2661, ASTM D2680*|
|Cast-Iron||X||X||X||ASTM A74, ASTM A888, CISPI 301||ASME B16.12, ASTM A74, ASTM A888, CISPI 301|
|Co-Extruded ABS (Schedule 40)||X||X||X||ASTM F628||ASME A112.4.4, ASTM D2661, ASTM D2680*|
|Co-Extruded Composite (Schedule 40)||X||X||X||ASTM F1488||ASME A112.4.4, ASTM D2661, ASTM D2665, ASTM F794*, ASTM F1866|
|Co-Extruded PVC (Schedule 40)||X||X||X||ASTM F891, ASTM F1760||ASME A112.4.4, ASTM D2665, ASTM F794*, ASTM F1336*, ASTM F1866|
|Copper and Copper Alloys (Type DWV)||X||X||X||ASTM B43, ASTM B75, ASTM B251, ASTM B302, ASTM B306||ASME B16.23, ASME B16.29|
|Galvanized Malleable Iron||—||X||—||—||ASME B16.3|
|Galvanized Steel||—||X||—||ASTM A53||—|
|Polyethylene||—||—||X||ASTM F714, ASTM F894||—|
|PVC (Schedule 40)||X||X||X||ASTM D1785, ASTM D2665, ASTM F794*||ASME A112.4.4, ASTM D2665, ASTM F794*, ASTM F1866|
|PVC (Sewer and Drain)||—||—||X||ASTM D2729||ASTM D2729|
|PVC PSM||—||—||X||ASTM D3034||ASTM D3034|
|Stainless Steel 304||—||X||—||ASME A112.3.1||ASME A112.3.1|
|Stainless Steel 316L||X||X||X||ASME A112.3.1||ASME A112.3.1|
|Vitrified Clay (Extra strength)||—||—||X||ASTM C700||ASTM C700|
- For safe pans — not less than 4 pounds per square foot (lb/ft2) (19 kg/m2) or 1/16 of an inch (1.6 mm) thick.
- For flashings or vent terminals — not less than 3 lb/ft2 (15 kg/m2) or 0.0472 of an inch (1.2 mm) thick.
- Lead bends and lead traps shall be not less than 1/8 of an inch (3.2 mm) in wall thickness.
|PIPE SIZE (inches)||INSIDE DIAMETER (inches)||LENGTH (inches)||MINIMUM WEIGHT EACH|
|PIPE SIZE (inches)||MINIMUM WEIGHT EACH||PIPE SIZE (inches)||MINIMUM WEIGHT EACH|
|PLUMBING APPLIANCES, APPURTENANCES, OR FIXTURES||MINIMUM SIZE TRAP AND TRAP ARM7 (inches)||PRIVATE||PUBLIC||ASSEMBLY8|
|Bathtub or Combination Bath/Shower||11/2||2.0||2.0||—|
|Clothes Washer, domestic, standpipe5||2||3.0||3.0||3.0|
|Dental Unit, cuspidor||11/4||—||1.0||1.0|
|Dishwasher, domestic, with independent drain2||11/2||2.0||2.0||2.0|
|Drinking Fountain or Water Cooler||11/4||0.5||0.5||1.0|
|Food Waste Disposer, commercial||2||—||3.0||3.0|
|Floor Drain, emergency||2||—||0.0||0.0|
|Floor Drain (for additional sizes see Section 702.0)||2||2.0||2.0||2.0|
|Shower, single-head trap||29||2.0||2.0||2.0|
|Multi-head, each additional||2||1.0||1.0||1.0|
|Lavatories in sets||11/2||2.0||2.0||2.0|
|Mobile Home, trap||3||12.0||—||—|
|Receptor, indirect waste1, 3||11/2||See footnote1, 3|
|Receptor, indirect waste1, 4||2||See footnote1, 4|
|Receptor, indirect waste1||3||See footnote1|
|Commercial with food waste2||11/2||—||3.0||3.0|
|Kitchen, domestic2 (with or without food waste disposer, dishwasher, or both)||11/2||2.0||2.0||—|
|Laundry2 (with or without discharge from a clothes washer)||11/2||2.0||2.0||2.0|
|Service or Mop Basin||2||—||3.0||3.0|
|Service or Mop Basin||3||—||3.0||3.0|
|Service, flushing rim||3||—||6.0||6.0|
|Wash, each set of faucets||—||—||2.0||2.0|
|Nonwater Urinal with Drain Cleansing Action||2||1.0||1.0||1.0|
|Urinal, integral trap 1.0 GPF2||2||2.0||2.0||5.0|
|Urinal, integral trap greater than 1.0 GPF||2||2.0||2.0||6.0|
|Urinal, exposed trap2||11/2||2.0||2.0||5.0|
|Water Closet, 1.6 GPF Gravity Tank6||3||3.0||4.0||6.0|
|Water Closet, 1.6 GPF Flushometer Tank6||3||3.0||4.0||6.0|
|Water Closet, 1.6 GPF Flushometer Valve6||3||3.0||4.0||6.0|
|Water Closet, greater than 1.6 GPF Gravity Tank6||3||4.0||6.0||8.0|
|Water Closet, greater than 1.6 GPF Flushometer Valve6||3||4.0||6.0||8.0|
|SIZE OF TRAP AND TRAP ARM (inches)||DRAINAGE FIXTURE UNIT VALUES (DFU)|
|Up to 71/2||Equals 1 Fixture Unit|
|Greater than 71/2 to 15||Equals 2 Fixture Units|
|Greater than 15 to 30||Equals 4 Fixture Units|
|Greater than 30 to 50||Equals 6 Fixture Units|
|SIZE OF PIPE (inches)||11/4||11/2||2||3||4||5||6||8||10||12|
Horizontal and Vertical6
|Maximum Lengths, (feet)||45||60||120||212||300||390||510||750|
|SIZE OF PIPE
|SIZE OF CLEANOUT
|4 & larger||31/2||8|
|ABS||ASTM D2661, CSA B79, IAPMO IGC 78, IAPMO IGC 224|
|Cast Iron||ASME A112.36.2, ASTM A888, CISPI 301, CSA B79, IAPMO IGC 224|
|Copper or Copper Alloy||ASME A112.36.2, CSA B79|
|Ductile Iron||CSA B79|
|Elastomers||CSA B79, IAPMO PS 90|
|Polyethylene (PE)||CSA B79|
|Polypropylene (PP)||CSA B79|
|PVC||ASTM D2665, CSA B79, IAPMO IGC 78, IAPMO IGC 224|
|Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF)||CSA B79|
|Stainless Steel||CSA B79|
- Cleanouts shall be permitted to be omitted on a horizontal drain line less than 5 feet (1524 mm) in length unless such line is serving sinks or urinals.
- Cleanouts shall be permitted to be omitted on a horizontal drainage pipe installed on a slope of 72 degrees (1.26 rad) or less from the vertical angle (one-fifth bend).
- Excepting the building drain, its horizontal branches, kitchen sinks, and urinals, a cleanout shall not be required on a pipe or piping that is above the floor level of the lowest floor of the building.
- An approved type of two-way cleanout fitting, installed inside the building wall near the connection between the building drain and the building sewer or installed outside of a building at the lower end of a building drain and extended to grade, shall be permitted to be substituted for an upper terminal cleanout.
- Shall have a discharge capacity of not less than 20 gpm (1.26 L/s).
- In single dwelling units, the ejector or pump shall be capable of passing an 11/2 inch (38 mm) diameter solid ball, and the discharge piping of each ejector or pump shall have a backwater valve and gate valve, and be not less than 2 inches (50 mm) in diameter.
- In other than single-dwelling units, the ejector or pump shall be capable of passing a 2 inch (51 mm) diameter solid ball, and the discharge piping of each ejector or pump shall have a backwater valve and gate valve, and be not less than 3 inches (80 mm) in diameter.
Part II — Building Sewers
|SIZE OF PIPE
(inches per foot)
|6 and smaller||(As specified in Table 703.2/ No minimum loading)|
- The bottom of the water pipe, at points, shall be not less than 12 inches (305 mm) above the top of the sewer or drain line.
- The water pipe shall be placed on a solid shelf excavated at one side of the common trench with a clear horizontal distance of not less than 12 inches (305 mm) from the sewer or drain line.
- Water pipes crossing sewer or drainage piping constructed of clay or materials that are not approved for use within a building shall be laid not less than 12 inches (305 mm) above the sewer or drain pipe.
|Buildings or structures1||2|
|Property line adjoining private property||Clear2|
|Water supply wells||503|
|On-site domestic water service line||14|
|Public water main||105, 6|
- Provide access to connect a building sewer to an available public sewer where proper cause and legal easement, not in violation of other requirements, has been first established to the satisfaction of the Authority Having Jurisdiction.
- Provide additional space for a building sewer where the proper cause, transfer of ownership, or change of boundary, not in violation of other requirements, has been first established to the satisfaction of the Authority Having Jurisdiction. The instrument recording such action shall constitute an agreement with the Authority Having Jurisdiction and shall clearly state and show that the areas so joined or used shall be maintained as a unit during the time they are so used. Such an agreement shall be recorded in the office of the County Recorder as part of the conditions of ownership of said properties, and shall be binding on heirs, successors, and assigns to such properties. A copy of the instrument recording such proceedings shall be filed with the Authority Having Jurisdiction.