|Brass pipe||1||ASTM B 43||Brazed, welded, threaded, mechanical and flanged fittings|
|Brass tubing||1||ASTM B 135||Brazed, soldered and mechanical fittings|
|Chlorinated poly (vinyl chloride) (CPVC) pipe and tubing||1, 2, 3||ASTM D 2846||Solvent cement joints, compression joints and threaded adapters|
|Copper pipe||1||ASTM B 42, B 302||Brazed, soldered and mechanical fittings threaded, welded and flanged|
(type K, L or M)
|1, 2||ASTM B 75,
B 88, B 251,
|Brazed, soldered and flared mechanical fittings||Joints embedded in concrete|
|Cross-linked polyethylene (PEX)||1, 2, 3||ASTM F 876,
|(See PEX fittings)||Install in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.|
cross-linked polyethylene-(PEX-AL-PEX) pressure pipe
|1, 2||ASTM F 1281 or
CAN/ CSA B137.10
|Mechanical, crimp/insert||Install in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.|
|PEX Fittings||ASTM F 1807
ASTM F 1960
ASTM F 2098
|Copper-crimp/insert fittings, cold expansion fittings, stainless steel clamp, insert fittings||Install in accordance with manufacturer's instructions|
|Plastic fittings PEX||ASTM F 1807|
|Polybutylene (PB) pipe and tubing||1, 2, 3||ASTM D 3309||Heat-fusion, crimp/insert and compression||Joints in concrete shall be heat-fused.|
|Polyethylene (PE) pipe, tubing and fittings (for ground source heat pump loop systems)||1, 2, 4||ASTM D 2513;
ASTM D 3350;
ASTM D 2513;
ASTM D 3035;
ASTM D 2447;
ASTM D 2683;
ASTM F 1055;
ASTM D 2837;
ASTM D 3350;
ASTM D 1693
|Polyethylene/aluminum/polyethylene (PE-AL-PE) pressure pipe||1, 2, 3||ASTM F 1282
CSA B 137.9
|Polyproplylene (PP)||1, 2, 3||ISO 15874
ASTM F 2389
|Heat-fusion joints, mechanical fittings, threaded adapters, compression joints|
|Raised temperature polyethylene (PE-RT)||1, 2, 3||ASTM F 2623||Copper crimp/insert fitting stainless steel clamp, insert fittings|
|Soldering fluxes||1||ASTM B 813||Copper tube joints|
|Steel pipe||1, 2||ASTM A 53,
|Brazed, welded, threaded, flanged and mechanical fittings||Joints in concrete shall be welded. Galvanized pipe shall not be welded or brazed.|
|Steel tubing||1||ASTM A 254||Mechanical fittings, welded|
- Use code:
- Above ground.
- Embedded in radiant systems.
- Temperatures below 180°F only.
- Low temperature (below 130°F) applications only.
- Standards as listed in Chapter 44.
Hydronic piping systems shall be installed to permit draining of the system. Where the system drains to the plumbing drainage system, the installation shall conform to the requirements of Chapters 25 through 32 of this code.
Exception: The buried portions of systems embedded underground or under floors.
|PIPING MATERIAL||MAXIMUM HORIZONTAL SPACING
|MAXIMUM VERTICAL SPACING
|CPVC ≤ 1 inch pipe or tubing||3||5|
|CPVC ≥ 11/4 inch||4||10|
|Copper or copper alloy pipe||12||10|
|Copper or copper alloy tubing||6||10|
|PB pipe or tubing||2.67||4|
|PE pipe or tubing||2.67||4|
|PP < 1 inch pipe or tubing||2.67||4|
|PP > 11/4 inch||4||10|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
Insulating materials used in thermal barriers shall be installed so that the manufacturer's R-value mark is readily observable upon inspection.
Piping joints that are embedded shall be installed in accordance with the following requirements:
- Steel pipe joints shall be welded.
- Copper tubing shall be joined with brazing material having a melting point exceeding 1,000°F (538°C).
- Polybutylene pipe and tubing joints shall be installed with socket-type heat-fused polybutylene fittings.
- CPVC tubing shall be joined using solvent cement joints.
- Polypropylene pipe and tubing joints shall be installed with socket-type heat-fused polypropylene fittings.
- Cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) tubing shall be joined using cold expansion, insert or compression fittings.
Piping joints (other than those in Section M2103.2) that are embedded shall comply with the following requirements:
- Cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) tubing shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
- Polyethylene tubing shall be installed with heat fusion joints.
- Polypropylene (PP) tubing shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.