Heads up: There are no amended sections in this chapter.
This section has been amended at the state or city level.
- Background. Pursuant to ORS 455.010 and ORS 455.020, the Oregon Building Codes Division (the
division) has been charged with the adoption of a state building code comprised of the specialty codes
that govern the construction, reconstruction, alteration, and repair of buildings and other structures, and
the installation of mechanical devices and equipment in those buildings and structures. One of the goals
of the state building code is to establish predictability and uniformity in construction standards across
The Department of Justice provided advice on the division's authority and adoption practices of construction standards. The division was advised to print all construction requirements within the state building code. Accordingly, Appendix D now specifies standards for those state building code requirements previously published elsewhere and clarifies related scoping requirements.
- Effective Date. Effective January 1, 2018, building officials, plans examiners, and inspectors may not
enforce construction requirements which are printed outside of the state building code including, but
not limited to, construction requirements printed in the Oregon Fire Code.
a. Effect on Cite-it Write-it Requirement. Pursuant to OAR 918-098-1900 (Cite-it Write-it Requirement) and the enforcement of the Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code, citations are limited to the following:
- Oregon Revised Statutes as noted in the Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code;
- Oregon Administrative Rules as noted in the Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code;
- References to the Oregon Structural Specialty Code and all adopted appendices, including Appendix N;
- The Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code and all adopted appendices, including Appendix D and
- Specific standards adopted by reference in the Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code.
- References to Fire Code. All references to a "Fire Code" in the Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code are revised as annotated in Table D101. (see below). Construction provisions of the "Fire Code" are found in Appendix N of the Oregon Structural Specialty Code.