The provisions of this chapter shall govern the location, availability, signage and minimum number of plumbing fixtures in buildings and structures covered by this code. Toilet and bathing rooms shall be constructed in accordance with Section 1209. The Plumbing Code shall govern the installation, alteration, repair, relocation, replacement and addition of plumbing components, appliances, equipment and systems.
Plumbing fixtures shall be provided in the minimum number as shown in Table 2902.1 based on the actual use of the building or space. Uses not specifically listed in Table 2902.1 shall be considered individually by the building official and shall reflect the use of the space being served by the fixtures. The number of occupants shall be determined by this code.
(URINALS may replace water
closets at a ratio of 1 urinal per
2/3 water closet)
|1||Assembly||Theaters and other buildings for the performing arts and motion picturesd||1 per 125||1 per 65||1 per 200||_||1 per floor|
|Nightclubs, bars, taverns, dance halls and buildings for similar purposesd||1 per 40||1 per 40||1 per 75||_||1 per floor|
|Restaurants, banquet halls and food courtsd||1 per 75||1 per 75||1 per 200||_||1 per floor|
|Casino gaming areas||1 per 100 for the first 400 and 1 per 250 for
the remainder exceeding 400
|1 per 50 for the first 400 and 1 per 150 for the
remainder exceeding 400
|1 per 250 for the first 750 and 1 per 500 for the remainder exceeding 750||_||1 per floor|
|Auditoriums without permanent seating, art galleries, exhibition halls, museums, lecture halls, libraries, arcades and gymnasiumsd||1 per 125||1 per 65||1 per 200||_||1 per floor|
|Passenger terminals and transportation facilitiesd||1 per 500||1 per 500||1 per 750||_||1 per floor|
|Places of worship and other religious services without fixed seatingd||1 per 120||1 per 60||1 per 200||_||1 per floor|
|Places of worship and other religious services with fixed seatingd||1 per 150||1 per 75||1 per 200||_||1 per floor|
|Coliseums, arenas, skating rinks, pools and tennis courts for indoor sporting events and activities||1 per 75 for the first 1,500 and 1 per 120 for the remainder exceeding 1,500||1 per 40 for the first 1,520 and 1 per 60 for the remainder exceeding 1,520||1 per 200||1 per 150||_||1 per floor|
|Stadiums, amusement parks, bleachers and grandstands for outdoor sporting events and activities||1 per 75 for the first 1,500 and 1
per 120 for the remainder exceeding 1,500
|1 per 40 for
the first 1,520 and 1 per 60 for the remainder exceeding 1,520
|1 per 200||1 per 150||_||1 per floor|
|2||Business||Buildings for the transaction of business, professional services, other services involving merchandise, office buildings, banks, light industrial, ambulatory care and similar uses||1 per 25 for the first 50 and 1 per 50 for the remainder exceeding 50||1 per 40 for the first 80 and 1 per 80 for the remainder exceeding 80||_||_|
|3||Educational||Educational facilities||1 per 50||1 per 50||_||1 per floor|
|4||Factory and industrial||Structures in which occupants are engaged in work fabricating, assembly or processing of products or materials||1 per 100||1 per 100||_||_|
|5||Institutional||Custodial care facilities||1 per 10||1 per 10||1 per 8||_|
|Medical care recipients in hospitals and nursing homesb||1 per roomc||1 per roomc||1 per 15||_|
|Employees in hospitals and nursing homesb||1 per 25||1 per 35||_||_|
|Visitors in hospitals and nursing homes||1 per 75||1 per 100||_||_|
|Prisonsb||1 per cell||1 per cell||1 per 15||_|
|Reformatories, detention centers and correctional centersb
||1 per 15||1 per 15||1 per 15||_|
|Employees in reformitories, detention centers and correctional centersb
||1 per 25||1 per 35||_||_|
|Adult day care and child day care||1 per 15||1 per 15||1||_|
|6||Mercantile||Retail stores, service stations, shops, salesrooms, markets and shopping centers||1 per 500||1 per 750||_||_|
|7||Residential||Hotels, motels, boarding houses (transient)||1 per sleeping unit||1 per sleeping unit||1 per sleeping unit||_|
|Dormitories, fraternities, sororities and boarding houses (not transient)||1 per 10||1 per 10||1 per 8||_|
|Apartment house||1 per dwelling unit||1 per dwelling unit||1 per dwelling unit||_|
|One- and two-family dwellings and lodging houses with five or fewer guestrooms||1 per dwelling unit||1 per 10||1 per dwelling unit||_|
|Congregate living facilities with 16 or fewer persons||1 per 10||1 per 10||1 per 8||_|
|8||Storage||Structures for the storage of goods, warehouses, storehouses and freight depots, low and moderate hazard||1 per 100||1 per 100||_||_|
- The fixtures shown are based on one fixture being the minimum required for the number of persons indicated or any fraction of the number of persons indicated. The number of occupants shall be determined by this code.
- Toilet facilities for employees shall be separate from facilities for inmates or care recipients.
- A single-occupant toilet room with one water closet and one lavatory serving not more than two adjacent patient sleeping units shall be permitted, provided that each patient sleeping unit has direct access to the toilet room and provisions for privacy for the toilet room user are provided.
- The occupant load for seasonal outdoor seating and entertainment areas shall be included when determining the minimum number of facilities required.
- A drinking fountain need not be provided in a drinking or dining establishment.
To determine the occupant load of each sex, the total occupant load shall be divided in half. To determine the required number of fixtures, the fixture ratio or ratios for each fixture type shall be applied to the occupant load of each sex in accordance with Table 2902.1. Fractional numbers resulting from applying the fixture ratios of Table 2902.1 shall be rounded up to the next whole number. For calculations involving multiple occupancies, such fractional numbers for each occupancy shall first be summed and then rounded up to the next whole number.
Where plumbing fixtures are required, separate facilities shall be provided for each sex.
- Separate facilities shall not be required for dwelling units and sleeping units.
- Separate facilities shall not be required in structures or tenant spaces with a total occupant load, including both employees and customers, of 30 or fewer. One single-user toilet room shall be permitted.
- Separate facilities shall not be required in mercantile occupancies in which the maximum occupant load is 100 or fewer.
- Separate facilities shall not be required in business occupancies in which the maximum occupant load, including both employees and customers, is 50 or fewer. One single-user toilet room shall be permitted.
- Separate facilities shall not be required where the operational needs of a facility necessitate other approved configurations.
For structures and tenant spaces intended for public utilization, customers, patrons and visitors shall be provided with public toilet facilities. Employees associated with structures and tenant spaces shall be provided with toilet facilities. The number of plumbing fixtures located within the required toilet facilities shall be provided in accordance with Section 2902 for all users. Employee toilet facilities shall be either separate or combined employee and public toilet facilities.
In occupancies other than covered and open mall buildings, the required public and employee toilet facilities shall be located not more than one story above or below the space required to be provided with toilet facilities, and the path of travel to such facilities shall not exceed a distance of 500 feet (152 m).
- In Group B (other than restaurants and dining facilities), F, H, M and S occupancies, toilet facilities may be located in an adjacent building on the same property. The path of travel to such facilities shall not exceed a distance of 300 feet (91 440 mm) and shall be on an accessible route complying with Chapter 11.
- The location and maximum distances of travel to required employee facilities in factory and industrial occupancies are permitted to exceed that required by this section, provided that the location and maximum distance of travel are approved.