The provisions of this chapter shall govern the materials, design and installation of water heaters and the related safety devices and appurtenances.
Exception: Elevation of the ignition source is not required for appliances that are listed as flammable vapor ignition resistant.
- Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
- Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.
- Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
- Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
- Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the water heater or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors.
- Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
- Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
- Not be trapped.
- Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
- Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.
- Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.
- Not have valves or tee fittings.
- Be constructed of those materials listed in Section 605.4 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.