About this chapter: Chapter 18 addresses chimneys and vents that serve oil- and solid fuel-fired appliances, including wood pellet appliances. Gas-fired appliances are vented in accordance with Chapter 24. Chapter 10 addresses chimneys for fireplaces and masonry and factory-built chimneys in general. Note that chimneys and vents are distinct.
Code development reminder: Code change proposals to this chapter will be considered by the IRC—Plumbing/Mechanical Code Development Committee during the 2018 (Group A) Code Development Cycle. See explanation on page iv.
This section should not be construed as permitting the installation of portable unvented heaters in locations otherwise prohibited by section 3701.82 of the Revised Code or rules adopted by the state fire marshal pursuant to 3701.82 of the Revised Code.
Exception: Masonry chimneys equipped with a chimney lining system tested and listed for installation in chimneys in contact with combustibles in accordance with UL 1777, and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, shall not be required to have a clearance between combustible materials and exterior surfaces of the masonry chimney. Noncombustible firestopping shall be provided in accordance with this code.
Connectors for oil and solid fuel-burning appliances shall be constructed of factory-built chimney material, Type L vent material or single-wall metal pipe having resistance to corrosion and heat and thickness not less than that of galvanized steel as specified in Table M1803.2.
A chimney connector or vent connector shall not pass through any floor or ceiling. A chimney connector or vent connector shall not pass through a wall or partition unless the connector is listed and labeled for wall pass-through, or is routed through a device listed and labeled for wall pass-through and is installed in accordance with the conditions of its listing and label. Connectors for oil-fired appliances listed and labeled for Type L vents, passing through walls or partitions shall be in accordance with the following:
- Type L vent material for oil appliances shall be installed with not less than listed and labeled clearances to combustible material.
- Single-wall metal pipe shall be guarded by a ventilated metal thimble not less than 4 inches (102 mm) larger in diameter than the vent connector. Not less than 6 inches (152 mm) of clearance shall be maintained between the thimble and combustibles.
|TYPE OF CONNECTOR||MINIMUM
|Single-wall metal pipe connectors:|
|Oil and solid-fuel appliances||18|
|Oil appliances listed for use with Type L vents||9|
|Type L vent piping connectors:|
|Oil and solid-fuel appliances||9|
|Oil appliances listed for use with Type L vents||3b|
Mechanical draft systems shall comply with UL 378 and shall be installed in accordance with their listing, the manufacturer's instructions and, except for direct-vent appliances, the following requirements:
- The vent terminal shall be located not less than 3 feet (914 mm) above a forced air inlet located within 10 feet (3048 mm).
- The vent terminal shall be located not less than 4 feet (1219 mm) below, 4 feet (1219 mm) horizontally from, or 1 foot (305 mm) above any door, window or gravity air inlet into a dwelling.
- The vent termination point shall be located not closer than 3 feet (914 mm) to an interior corner formed by two walls perpendicular to each other.
- The bottom of the vent terminal shall be located not less than 12 inches (305 mm) above finished ground level.
- The vent termination shall not be mounted directly above or within 3 feet (914 mm) horizontally of an oil tank vent or gas meter.
- Power exhauster terminations shall be located not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) from lot lines and adjacent buildings.
- The discharge shall be directed away from the building.
The effective area of a natural draft chimney flue for one appliance shall be not less than the area of the connector to the appliance. The area of chimney flues connected to more than one appliance shall be not less than the area of the largest connector plus 50 percent of the areas of additional chimney connectors.