(a) Scope. This section sets forth standards, requirements and procedures for fumigation and thermal insecticidal fogging, and insecticidal fogging without the application of heat.
(b) General Provisions. Fumigation and insecticidal fogging operations shall be conducted in compliance with the requirements of FC 1701 and 1703 and this section.
(c) Supervision. Fumigation and insecticidal fogging operations, including insecticidal fogging without the application of heat, shall be supervised by a company holding a fumigation and thermal insecticidal fogging operation company certificate, and conducted by individuals holding a certificate of fitness as set forth in FC 1701.4.1 and 1701.4.2.
(d) Operational Requirements for Fumigation and Insecticidal Fogging Operations.
(1) Fog generators, except approved portable types, shall be operated outdoors.
(2) Building occupants in the building to be fumigated, except the personnel conducting the fumigation, shall be evacuated prior to commencing fumigation operations.
(3) Building occupants in the space to be fogged, except the personnel conducting the insecticidal fogging operations, shall be evacuated from such space prior to commencing fogging operations.
(4) All openings to the space to be fumigated or fogged shall be kept securely closed.
(5) The temperature gauge of fog generator used for thermal insecticidal fogging shall be read at frequent intervals. If the temperature rises above normal operating temperature, the generator shall be shut down immediately and the necessary adjustment made. When liquids having a flash point are used, the liquid in the fog generator shall have a flash point at least 40°F higher than the surrounding temperature of the area to be fogged.
(6) The dryness of the fog shall be checked before beginning the thermal insecticidal fogging operations. Wet fog shall not be used for thermal insecticidal fogging unless the fogging liquid has no flash point.
(7) When liquids having a flash point are used, no more than one (1) gallon of fogging liquid shall be used for each 50,000 cubic feet of space to be fogged. The fog shall not be allowed to expel directly against any combustible material.
(e) Portable Fire Extinguisher Requirements. A portable fire extinguisher with at least a 20-B rating shall be provided and kept readily accessible during fumigation or insecticidal fogging operations.
(f) Notifications. Notification to the Department of fumigation and thermal insecticidal fogging in accordance with FC1703.3 shall be made to the local fire company. Notification is not required for insecticidal fogging not involving the application of heat.