Heads up: There are no amended sections in this chapter.
This appendix is enforceable.
Fire apparatus access roads shall be in accordance with this appendix and all other applicable requirements of the Fire Code of New York State.
Facilities, buildings or portions of buildings hereafter constructed shall be accessible to fire department apparatus by way of an approved fire apparatus access road with an asphalt, concrete or other approved driving surface capable of supporting the imposed load of fire apparatus weighing at least 75,000 pounds (34 050 kg).
Where a fire hydrant is located on a fire apparatus access road, the minimum road width shall be 26 feet (7925 mm). See Figure D103.1.
The minimum turning radius shall be determined by the code enforcement official.
Dead-end fire apparatus access roads in excess of 150 feet (45 720 mm) shall be provided with width and turnaround provisions in accordance with Table D103.4.
- The minimum gate width shall be 20 feet (6096 mm).
- Gates shall be of the swinging or sliding type.
- Construction of gates shall be of materials that allow manual operation by one person.
- Gate components shall be maintained in an operative condition at all times and replaced or repaired when defective.
- Electric gates shall be equipped with a means of opening the gate by fire department personnel for emergency access. Emergency opening devices shall be approved by the code enforcement official.
- Manual opening gates shall not be locked with a padlock or chain and padlock unless they are capable of being opened by means of forcible entry tools or when a key box containing the key(s) to the lock is installed at the gate location.
- Locking device specifications shall be submitted for approval by the code enforcement official.
TABLE D103.4 REQUIREMENTS FOR DEAD-END FIRE APPARATUS ACCESS ROADS
LENGTH (feet) WIDTH (feet) TURNAROUNDS REQUIRED 0-150 20 None required 151-500 20 120-foot Hammerhead, 60-foot "Y" or 96-foot-diameter cul-de-sac in accordance with Figure D103.1 501-750 26 120-foot Hammerhead, 60-foot "Y" or 96-foot-diameter cul-de-sac in accordance with Figure D103.1 Over 750 Special approval requiredFor SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
Where required by the code enforcement official, fire apparatus access roads shall be marked with permanent NO PARKING—FIRE LANE signs complying with Figure D103.6. Signs shall have a minimum dimension of 12 inches (305 mm) wide by 18 inches (457 mm) high and have red letters on a white reflective background. Signs shall be posted on one or both sides of the fire apparatus road as required by Section D103.6.1 or D103.6.2.
FIGURE D103.6 FIRE LANE SIGNS
FIGURE D103.6 FIRE LANE SIGNS
Buildings or portions of buildings or facilities exceeding 30 feet (9144 mm) in height above the lowest level of fire department vehicle access shall be provided with approved fire apparatus access roads capable of accommodating fire department aerial apparatus. Overhead utility and power lines shall not be located within the aerial fire apparatus access roadway.
Fire apparatus access roads shall have a minimum unobstructed width of 26 feet (7925 mm) in the immediate vicinity of any building or portion of building more than 30 feet (9144 mm) in height.
At least one of the required access routes meeting this condition shall be located within a minimum of 15 feet (4572 mm) and a maximum of 30 feet (9144 mm) from the building, and shall be positioned parallel to one entire side of the building.