- When such required elements or devices are being remodeled, altered or repaired, adequate substitute provisions shall be made.
- When the existing building is not occupied.
TABLE 3306.1 PROTECTION OF PEDESTRIANS
|HEIGHT OF CONSTRUCTION||DISTANCE FROM CONSTRUCTION TO LOT LINE||TYPE OF PROTECTION REQUIRED|
|8 feet or less||Less than 5 feet||Construction railings|
|5 feet or more||None|
|More than 8 feet||Less than 5 feet||Barrier and covered walkway|
|5 feet or more, but not more than one-fourth the height of construction||Barrier and covered walkway|
|5 feet or more, but between one-fourth and one-half the height of construction||Barrier|
|5 feet or more, but exceeding one-half the height of construction||None|
- Barriers shall be provided with 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) top and bottom plates.
- The barrier material shall be a minimum of 3/4-inch (19.1 mm) boards or 1/4-inch (6.4 mm) wood structural use panels.
- Wood structural use panels shall be bonded with an adhesive identical to that for exterior wood structural use panels.
- Wood structural use panels 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) or 5/16 inch (23.8 mm) in thickness shall have studs spaced not more than 2 feet (610 mm) on center (o.c.).
- Wood structural use panels 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) or 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) in thickness shall have studs spaced not more than 4 feet (1219 mm) o.c., provided a 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) stiffener is placed horizontally at midheight where the stud spacing exceeds 2 feet (610 mm) o.c.
- Wood structural use panels 5/8 inch (15.9 mm) or thicker shall not span over 8 feet (2438 mm).
Exception: Roofs and supporting structures of covered walkways for new, light-frame construction not exceeding two stories in height are permitted to be designed for a live load of 75 psf (3.6kN/m2) or the loads imposed on them, whichever is greater. In lieu of such designs, the roof and supporting structure of a covered walkway are permitted to be constructed as follows:
- Footings shall be continuous 2-inch by 6-inch (51 mm by 152 mm) members.
- Posts not less than 4 inches by 6 inches (102 mm by 152 mm) shall be provided on both sides of the roof and spaced not more than 12 feet (3658 mm) o.c.
- Stringers not less than 4 inches by 12 inches (102 mm by 305 mm) shall be placed on edge upon the posts.
- Joists resting on the stringers shall be at least 2 inches by 8 inches (51 mm by 203 mm) and shall be spaced not more than 2 feet (610 mm) o.c.
- The deck shall be planks at least 2 inches (51 mm) thick or wood structural panels with an exterior exposure durability classification at least 23/32 inch (18.3 mm) thick nailed to the joists.
- Each post shall be knee braced to joists and stringers by 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) minimum members 4 feet (1219 mm) long.
- A 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) minimum curb shall be set on edge along the outside edge of the deck.