- Steam boiler equipment operating at pressures of 15 pounds per square inch gauge (psig) (103.4 KPa) or less is not required to be enclosed.
- Hot water boilers operating at pressures of 170 psig (1171 KPa) or less are not required to be enclosed.
- Furnace and boiler equipment with 400,000 British thermal units (Btu) (4.22 x 108 J) per hour input rating or less is not required to be enclosed.
- Furnace rooms protected with an automatic sprinkler system are not required to be enclosed.
- A Group F-1 occupancy used for the manufacture of upholstered furniture or mattresses exceeds 2,500 square feet (232 m2).
- A Group M occupancy used for the display and sale of upholstered furniture or mattresses exceeds 5,000 square feet (464 m2).
- Group S-1 occupancy used for the storage of upholstered furniture or mattresses exceeds 2,500 square feet (232 m2).
- Alarm-initiating and notification appliances shall not be required to be installed in tenant spaces outside of the work area.
- Visual alarm notification appliances are not required, except where an existing alarm system is upgraded or replaced or where a new fire alarm system is installed.
- Buildings of Group R occupancy with no more than five dwelling or sleeping units used solely for residential purposes that are altered based on the conventional light-frame construction methods of the International Building Code or in compliance with the provisions of the International Residential Code.
- Where such alterations involve only the lowest story of a building and the change of occupancy provisions of Chapter 10 do not apply, only the lateral force-resisting components in and below that story need comply with this section.