- When such required elements or devices are being altered or repaired, adequate substitute provisions shall be made.
- When the existing building is not occupied.
|DISTANCE OF CONSTRUCTION TO LOT LINE||TYPE OF PROTECTION REQUIRED|
|8 feet or less||Less than 5 feet||Construction railings|
|5 feet or more||None|
|More than 8 feet||Less than 5 feet||Barrier and covered walkway|
|5 feet or more, but not more than one-fourth
the height of construction
|Barrier and covered walkway|
|5 feet or more, but between one-fourth and
one-half the height of construction
|5 feet or more, but exceeding one-half the
height of construction
- Barriers shall be provided with 2 x 4 top and bottom plates.
- The barrier material shall be a minimum of 3/4 inch (19.1 mm) boards or 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) wood structural use panels.
- Wood structural use panels shall be bonded with an adhesive identical to that for exterior wood structural use panels.
- Wood structural use panels 11/4 inch (6.4 mm) or 1/6 inch (1.6 mm) in thickness shall have studs spaced not more than 2 feet (610 mm) on center.
- Wood structural use panels 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) or 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) in thickness shall have studs spaced not more than 4 feet (1219 mm) on center, provided a 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) stiffener is placed horizontally at the mid-height where the stud spacing exceeds 2 feet (610 mm) on center.
- Wood structural use panels 5/8 inch (15.9 mm) or thicker shall not span over 8 feet (2438 mm).
- Footings shall be continuous 2 x 6 members.
- Posts not less than 4 x 6 shall be provided on both sides of the roof and spaced not more than 12 feet (3658 mm) on center.
- Stringers not less than 4 x 12 shall be placed on edge upon the posts.
- Joists resting on the stringers shall be at least 2 x 8 and shall be spaced not more than 2 feet (610 mm) on center.
- The deck shall be planks at least 2 inches (51 mm) thick or wood structural panels with an exterior exposure durability classification at least 23/32 inch (18.3 mm) thick nailed to the joists.
- Each post shall be knee-braced to joists and stringers by 2 x 4 minimum members 4 feet (1219 mm) long.
- A 2 x 4 minimum curb shall be set on edge along the outside edge of the deck.
- At each stairway on all floor levels where combustible materials have accumulated.
- In every storage and construction shed.
- Additional portable fire extinguishers shall be provided where special hazards exist including, but not limited to, the storage and use of flammable and combustible liquids.