The owner or the owner's authorized agent shall be responsible for maintenance of plumbing systems. To determine compliance with this provision, the code official shall have the authority to require any plumbing system to be reinspected.
Minor additions, alterations, renovations and repairs to existing plumbing systems shall meet the provisions for new construction, unless such work is done in the same manner and arrangement as was in the existing system, is not hazardous and is approved.
Where the code official shall have first obtained a proper inspection warrant or other remedy provided by law to secure entry, no owner, owner's authorized agent, occupant or person having charge, care or control of any building or premises shall fail or neglect, after proper request is made as herein provided, to promptly permit entry therein by the code official for the purpose of inspection and examination pursuant to this code.
- The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in this code.
- The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.
- Application for a permit shall be made by a plumbing
contractor licensed in accordance with 2002 PA 733,
MCL 338.3511 to 338.3569.
- A plumbing contractor shall do both of the following:
- Be active in the business of serving the public as a plumbing contractor in a county, city, village, or township in this state.
- Operate 1 or more branches in this state bearing the same firm name, where a licensed master plumber is in charge and has the responsibility of supervision at each branch. The names of the authorized master plumbers representing a firm shall be on record with the state plumbing board.
- To become a plumbing contractor, an applicant shall file an application on a form furnished by the state plumbing board and file with the board at Lansing, Michigan. An incomplete application will be returned to the applicant.
The code official shall have the authority to issue a permit for the construction of a part of a plumbing system before the entire construction documents for the whole system have been submitted or approved, provided adequate information and detailed statements have been filed complying with all pertinent requirements of this code. The holders of such permit shall proceed at their own risk without assurance that the permit for the entire plumbing system will be granted.
The issuance of a permit based upon construction documents and other data shall not prevent the code official from thereafter requiring the correction of errors in said construction documents and other data or from preventing building operations being carried on thereunder where in violation of this code or of other ordinances of this jurisdiction.
One set of approved construction documents shall be returned to the applicant, and said set shall be kept on the site of the building or work at all times during which the work authorized thereby is in progress.
- Underground inspection shall be made after trenches or ditches are excavated and bedded, piping installed, and before any backfill is put in place.
- Rough-in inspection shall be made after the roof, framing, fireblocking, fire stopping, draft stopping and bracing is in place and all sanitary, storm and water distribution piping is roughed-in, and prior to the installation of wall or ceiling membranes.
- Final inspection shall be made after the building is complete, all plumbing fixtures are in place and properly connected, and the structure is ready for occupancy.
Where such plumbing is to be disconnected, written notice as prescribed in Section 108.2 shall be given. In cases of immediate danger to life or property, such disconnection shall be made immediately without such notice.
Where any plumbing is maintained in violation of this code, and in violation of any notice issued pursuant to the provisions of this section, the code official shall institute any appropriate action to prevent, restrain, correct or abate the violation.