CLAY. Inorganic soil with particle sizes of less than 0.00008 inch (0.002 mm) having the characteristics of high to very high dry strength and medium to high plasticity.
CLAY SLIP. A suspension of clay soil in water.
CLAY SOIL. Inorganic soil containing 50 percent or more clay by volume.
INFILL. Light straw-clay that is placed between the structural members of a building.
LIGHT STRAW-CLAY. A mixture of straw and clay compacted to form insulation and plaster substrate between or around structural and nonstructural members in a wall.
NONBEARING. Not bearing the weight of the building other than the weight of the light straw-clay itself and its finish.
STRAW. The dry stems of cereal grains after the seed heads have been removed.
VOID. Any space in a light straw-clay wall in which a 2-inch (51 mm) sphere can be inserted.
1. Vertical reinforcing shall be not less than nominal 2-inch by 6-inch (51 mm by 152 mm) wood members at not more than 32 inches (813 mm) on center where the vertical reinforcing is nonload bearing and at 24 inches (610 mm) on center where it is load bearing. The vertical reinforcing shall not exceed an unrestrained height of 10 feet (3048 mm) and shall be attached at top and bottom in accordance with Chapter 6 of the this code. In lieu of these requirements, vertical reinforcing shall be in accordance with an approved design by a registered design professional.
2. Horizontal reinforcing shall be installed in the center of the wall at not more than 24 inches (610 mm) on center and shall be secured to vertical members. Horizontal reinforcing shall be of any of the following: 3/4-inch (19.1 mm) bamboo, 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) fiberglass rod, 1-inch (25 mm) wood dowel or nominal 1-inch by 2-inch (25 mm by 51 mm) wood.
1. Formwork shall be sufficiently strong to resist bowing where the light straw-clay is compacted into the forms.
2. Light straw-clay shall be uniformly placed into forms and evenly tamped to achieve stable walls free of voids. Light straw-clay shall be placed in lifts of not more than 6 inches (152 mm) and shall be thoroughly tamped before additional material is added.
3. Formwork shall be removed from walls within 24 hours after tamping, and walls shall remain exposed until moisture content is in accordance with Section AR103.5.1. Visible voids shall be patched with light straw-clay prior to plastering.
1. Rough framing for doors and windows shall be fastened to structural members in accordance with the International Residential Code. Windows and doors shall be flashed in accordance with the International Residential Code.
2. An approved moisture barrier shall be installed at window sills in light straw-clay walls prior to installation of windows.
Exception: Exterior clay plasters shall not be required to be separated from wood.