|Adopt Entire Chapter|
|Adopt Entire Chapter as amended (amended sections listed below)|
|Adopt only those sections that are listed below|
|[California Code of Regulations, Title 19, Division 1]|
|Chapter / Section|
Where a fire hydrant is located on a fire apparatus access road, the minimum road width shall be 26 feet (7925 mm), exclusive of shoulders (see Figure D103.1).
Dead-end fire apparatus access roads in excess of 150 feet (45 720 mm) shall be provided with width and turnaround provisions in accordance with Table D103.4.
REQUIREMENTS FOR DEAD-END FIRE APPARATUS ACCESS ROADS
|LENGTH (feet)||WIDTH (feet)||TURNAROUNDS REQUIRED|
|151-500||20||120-foot Hammerhead, 60-foot "Y" or 96-foot diameter cul-de-sac in accordance with Figure D103.1|
|501-750||26||120-foot Hammerhead, 60-foot "Y" or 96-foot diameter cul-de-sac in accordance with Figure D103.1|
|Over 750||Special approval required|
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
Gates securing the fire apparatus access roads shall comply with all of the following criteria:
- Where a single gate is provided, the gate width shall be not less than 20 feet (6096 mm). Where a fire apparatus road consists of a divided roadway, the gate width shall be not less than 12 feet (3658 mm).
- Gates shall be of the swinging or sliding type.
- Construction of gates shall be of materials that allow manual operation by one person.
- Gate components shall be maintained in an operative condition at all times and replaced or repaired when defective.
- Electric gates shall be equipped with a means of opening the gate by fire department personnel for emergency access. Emergency opening devices shall be approved by the fire code official.
- Methods of locking shall be submitted for approval by the fire code official.
- Electric gate operators, where provided, shall be listed in accordance with UL 325.
- Gates intended for automatic operation shall be designed, constructed and installed to comply with the requirements of ASTM F2200.
Where required by the fire code official, fire apparatus access roads shall be marked with permanent NO PARKING—FIRE LANE signs complying with Figure D103.6. Signs shall have a minimum dimension of 12 inches (305 mm) wide by 18 inches (457 mm) high and have red letters on a white reflective background. Signs shall be posted on one or both sides of the fire apparatus road as required by Section D103.6.1 or D103.6.2.
Exception: Projects having a gross building area of up to 124,000 square feet (11 520 m2) that have a single approved fire apparatus access road when all buildings are equipped throughout with approved automatic sprinkler systems.
Exception: Projects having up to 200 dwelling units may have a single approved fire apparatus access road when all buildings, including nonresidential occupancies, are equipped throughout with approved automatic sprinkler systems installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.
- Where there are more than 30 dwelling units on a single public or private fire apparatus access road and all dwelling units are equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, 903.3.1.2 or 903.3.1.3 of the California Fire Code, access from two directions shall not be required.
- The number of dwelling units on a single fire apparatus access road shall not be increased unless fire apparatus access roads will connect with future development, as determined by the fire code official.