|Adopt Entire Chapter||X|
|Adopt Entire Chapter as amended (amended sections listed below)|
|Adopt only those sections that are listed below|
|[California Code of Regulations, Title 19, Division 1]|
|Chapter / Section|
Cold decks shall not exceed 500 feet (152.4 m) in length, 300 feet (91 440 mm) in width and 20 feet (6096 mm) in height. Cold decks shall be separated from adjacent cold decks or other exposures by not less than 100 feet (30 480 mm).
Exception: The size of cold decks shall be determined by the fire code official where the decks are protected by special fire protection including, but not limited to, additional fire flow, portable turrets and deluge sets, and hydrant hose houses equipped with approved fire-fighting equipment capable of reaching the entire storage area in accordance with Chapter 9.
Piles shall not exceed 60 feet (18 288 mm) in height, 300 feet (91 440 mm) in width and 500 feet (152 m) in length. Piles shall be separated from adjacent piles or other exposures by approved fire apparatus access roads.
Exception: The fire code official is authorized to allow the pile size to be increased where additional fire protection is provided in accordance with Chapter 9. The increase shall be based on the capabilities of the system installed.
Piles shall not exceed 25 feet (7620 mm) in height, 150 feet (45 720 mm) in width and 250 feet (76 200 mm) in length.
Exception: The fire code official is authorized to allow the pile size to be increased where a fire protection plan is provided for approval that includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Storage yard areas and materials-handling equipment selection, design and arrangement shall be based upon sound fire prevention and protection principles.
- Factors that lead to spontaneous heating shall be identified in the plan, and control of the various factors shall be identified and implemented, including provisions for monitoring the internal condition of the pile.
- The plan shall include means for early fire detection and reporting to the public fire department; and facilities needed by the fire department for fire extinguishment including a water supply and fire hydrants.
- Fire apparatus access roads around the piles and access roads to the top of the piles shall be established, identified and maintained.
- Regular yard inspections by trained personnel shall be included as part of an effective fire prevention maintenance program.
Additional fire protection called for in the plan shall be provided and shall be installed in accordance with this code. The increase of the pile size shall be based upon the capabilities of the installed fire protection systems and features.
Permanent storage areas shall be surrounded with an approved fence. Fences shall be not less than 6 feet (1829 mm) in height.