Required exits, existing structural elements, fire protection devices and sanitary safeguards shall be maintained at all times during remodeling, alterations, repairs or additions to any building or structure.
1. When such required elements or devices are being remodeled, altered or repaired, adequate substitute provisions shall be made.
2. When the existing building is not occupied.
Pedestrians shall be protected during construction, remodeling and demolition activities as required by this chapter and Table 3306.1. Signs shall be provided to direct pedestrian traffic.
PROTECTION OF PEDESTRIANS
HEIGHT OF CONSTRUCTION
DISTANCE FROM CONSTRUCTION TO LOT LINE
TYPE OF PROTECTION REQUIRED
8 feet or less
Less than 5 feet
5 feet or more
More than 8 feet
Less than 5 feet
Barrier and covered walkway
5 feet or more, but not more than one-fourth the height of construction
Barrier and covered walkway
5 feet or more, but between one-fourth and one-half the height of construction
5 feet or more, but exceeding one-half the height of construction
For SI: 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
Barriers shall be designed to resist loads required in Chapter 16 unless constructed as follows:
1. Barriers shall be provided with 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) top and bottom plates.
2. The barrier material shall be a minimum of 3/4-inch (19.1 mm) boards or 1/4-inch (6.4 mm) wood structural use panels.
3. Wood structural use panels shall be bonded with an adhesive identical to that for exterior wood structural use panels.
4. Wood structural use panels 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) or 5/16 inch (23.8 mm) in thickness shall have studs spaced not more than 2 feet (610 mm) on center (o.c.).
5. Wood structural use panels 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) or 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) in thickness shall have studs spaced not more than 4 feet (1219 mm) on center provided a 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) stiffener is placed horizontally at midheight where the stud spacing exceeds 2 feet (610 mm) o.c.
6. Wood structural use panels 5/8 inch (15.9 mm) or thicker shall not span over 8 feet (2438 mm).
Covered walkways shall have a minimum clear height of 8 feet (2438 mm) as measured from the floor surface to the canopy overhead. Adequate lighting shall be provided at all times. Covered walkways shall be designed to support all imposed loads. In no case shall the design live load be less than 150 psf (7.2 kN/m2) for the entire structure.
Exception: Roofs and supporting structures of covered walkways for new, light-frame construction not exceeding two stories above grade plane are permitted to be designed for a live load of 75 psf (3.6kN/m2) or the loads imposed on them, whichever is greater. In lieu of such designs, the roof and supporting structure of a covered walkway are permitted to be constructed as follows:
1. Footings shall be continuous 2-inch by 6-inch (51 mm by 152 mm) members.
2. Posts not less than 4 inches by 6 inches (102 mm by 152 mm) shall be provided on both sides of the roof and spaced not more than 12 feet (3658 mm) on center.
3. Stringers not less than 4 inches by 12 inches (102 mm by 305 mm) shall be placed on edge upon the posts.
4. Joists resting on the stringers shall be at least 2 inches by 8 inches (51 mm by 203 mm) and shall be spaced not more than 2 feet (610 mm) on center.
5. The deck shall be planks at least 2 inches (51 mm) thick or wood structural panels with an exterior exposure durability classification at least 23/32 inch (18.3 mm) thick nailed to the joists.
6. Each post shall be knee braced to joists and stringers by 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) minimum members 4 feet (1219 mm) long.
7. A 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) minimum curb shall be set on edge along the outside edge of the deck.
All structures under construction, alteration or demolition shall be provided with not less than one approved portable fire extinguisher in accordance with Section 906 and sized for not less than ordinary hazard as follows:
1. At each stairway on all floor levels where combustible materials have accumulated.
2. In every storage and construction shed.
3. Additional portable fire extinguishers shall be provided where special hazards exist, such as the storage and use of flammable and combustible liquids.
Required means of egress shall be maintained at all times during construction, demolition, remodeling or alterations and additions to any building.
Exception: Approved temporary means of egress systems and facilities.