1. When such required elements or devices are being altered or repaired, adequate substitute provisions shall be made.
2. When the existing building is not occupied.
[B] TABLE 1501.6
PROTECTION OF PEDESTRIANS
|HEIGHT OF CONSTRUCTION||DISTANCE OF CONSTRUCTION TO LOT LINE||TYPE OF PROTECTION REQUIRED|
|8 feet or less||Less than 5 feet||Construction railings|
|5 feet or more||None|
|More than 8 feet||Less than 5 feet||Barrier and covered walkway|
|5 feet or more, but not more than one-fourth |
the height of construction
|Barrier and covered walkway|
|5 feet or more, but between one-fourth and |
one-half the height of construction
|5 feet or more, but exceeding one-half the |
height of construction
Barriers shall be designed to resist loads required in Chapter 16 of the Florida Building Code, Building unless constructed as follows:
1. Barriers shall be provided with 2 × 4 top and bottom plates.
2. The barrier material shall be a minimum of 3/4 inch (19.1 mm) boards or 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) wood structural use panels.
3. Wood structural use panels shall be bonded with an adhesive identical to that for exterior wood structural use panels.
4. Wood structural use panels 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) or 1/16 inch (23.8 mm) in thickness shall have studs spaced not more than 2 feet (610 mm) on center.
5. Wood structural use panels 3/8 inch (9.5 mm) or 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) in thickness shall have studs spaced not more than 4 feet (1219 mm) on center, provided a 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) stiffener is placed horizontally at the mid-height where the stud spacing exceeds 2 feet (610 mm) on center.
6. Wood structural use panels 5/8 inch (15.9 mm) or thicker shall not span over 8 feet (2438 mm).
Covered walkways shall have a minimum clear height of 8 feet (2438 mm) as measured from the floor surface to the canopy overhead. Adequate lighting shall be provided at all times. Covered walkways shall be designed to support all imposed loads. In no case shall the design live load be less than 150 psf (7.2 kN/m2) for the entire structure.
1. Footings shall be continuous 2 × 6 members.
2. Posts not less than 4 × 6 shall be provided on both sides of the roof and spaced not more than 12 feet (3658 mm) on center.
3. Stringers not less than 4 × 12 shall be placed on edge upon the posts.
4. Joists resting on the stringers shall be at least 2 × 8 and shall be spaced not more than 2 feet (610 mm) on center.
5. The deck shall be planks at least 2 inches (51 mm) thick or wood structural panels with an exterior exposure durability classification at least 23/32 inch (18.3 mm) thick nailed to the joists.
6. Each post shall be knee-braced to joists and stringers by 2 × 4 minimum members 4 feet (1219 mm) long.
7. A 2 × 4 minimum curb shall be set on edge along the outside edge of the deck.
All structures under construction, alteration, or demolition shall be provided with not less than one approved portable fire extinguisher in accordance with the Florida Fire Prevention Code and sized for not less than ordinary hazard as follows:
1. At each stairway on all floor levels where combustible materials have accumulated.
2. In every storage and construction shed.
3. Additional portable fire extinguishers shall be provided where special hazards exist including, but not limited to, the storage and use of flammable and combustible liquids.
Standpipes shall be installed in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 9 of the Florida Building Code, Building.