Part 1 Scope and Application
Any building where heating or cooling systems are provided which are designed for purposes other than general space comfort conditioning. Buildings included in this exemption include:
- Commercial service areas where only ceiling radiant heaters or spot coolers are to be installed which will provide heat or cool only to a single work area and do not provide general heating or cooling for the space.
- Buildings heated with a system designed to provide sufficient heat only to prevent freezing of products or systems. Such systems shall not provide heating above 50°F (10°C).
- Premanufactured freezer or refrigerated storage buildings and areas where the temperature is set below 40°F (4°C) and in which no operators work on a regular basis.
- Electrical equipment switching buildings which provide space conditioning for equipment only and in which no operators work on a regular basis except that the provisions of Section C405 shall apply.
- Buildings containing a system(s) designed and sold for dehumidification purposes only and controlled only by a humidistat. No thermostat shall be installed on systems thus exempted from this code.
Alterations, renovations and building systems may utilize Form C402. Form C402 can be found in Appendix CA.
Part 2 Administration and Enforcement
Construction documents and other supporting data shall be submitted in one or more sets with each application for a permit. The construction documents shall be prepared by a registered design professional where required by the statutes of the jurisdiction in which the project is to be constructed. Where special conditions exist, the code official is authorized to require necessary construction documents to be prepared by a registered design professional.
Exception: The code official is authorized to waive the requirements for construction documents or other supporting data if the code official determines they are not necessary to confirm compliance with this code.
Completion of procedures demonstrating compliance with this code for commercial and multiple-family residential buildings shall be in accordance with the provisions of Section 481.229, Florida Statutes, or Section 471.003, Florida Statutes.
Exception: Where HVAC systems are ≤ 15 tons per system, air conditioning or mechanical contractors licensed in accordance with Chapter 489, Florida Statutes, or commercial building energy raters certified in accordance with Section 553.99, Florida Statutes, may prepare the code compliance form.
Design professionals responsible under Florida law for the design of lighting, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems and the building shell, shall certify compliance of those building systems with the code by signing and providing their professional registration number on the energy code form provided as part of the plans and specifications to the building department.
Construction documents shall be drawn to scale upon suitable material. Electronic media documents are permitted to be submitted where approved by the code official. Construction documents shall be of sufficient clarity to indicate the location, nature and extent of the work proposed, and show in sufficient detail pertinent data and features of the building, systems and equipment as herein governed. Details shall include, but are not limited to, the following as applicable:
- Insulation materials and their R-values.
- Fenestration U-factors and solar heat gain coefficients (SHGCs).
- Area-weighted U-factor and solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) calculations.
- Mechanical system design criteria.
- Mechanical and service water heating system and equipment types, sizes and efficiencies.
- Economizer description.
- Equipment and system controls.
- Fan motor horsepower (hp) and controls.
- Duct sealing, duct and pipe insulation and location.
- Lighting fixture schedule with wattage and control narrative.
- Location of daylight zones on floor plans.
- Air sealing details.
When the code official issues a permit where construction documents are required, the construction documents shall be endorsed in writing and stamped "Reviewed for Code Compliance." Such approved construction documents shall not be changed, modified or altered without authorization from the code official. Work shall be done in accordance with the approved construction documents.
One set of construction documents so reviewed shall be retained by the code official. The other set shall be returned to the applicant, kept at the site of work and shall be open to inspection by the code official or a duly authorized representative.