In addition to the provisions of this chapter, the following special occupancies, standards, requirements and codes shall conform to the following sections:
|Section 450:||Nursing homes|
|Section 451:||Ambulatory surgical centers|
|Section 452:||Birthing centers|
|Section 453:||State requirements for educational facilities|
|Section 454:||Swimming pools and bathing places|
|Section 455:||Public lodging establishments|
|Section 456:||Public food service establishments|
|Section 457:||Mental health programs|
|Section 458:||Manufactured buildings|
|Section 459:||Boot camps for children|
|Section 460:||Mausoleums and columbariums|
|Section 461:||Transient public lodging establishments|
Use of asbestos in new public buildings or
buildings newly constructed for lease togovernment entities–prohibition
|Section 463:||Adult day care|
|Section 464:||Assisted living facilities|
|Section 465:||Control of radiation hazards|
|Section 466:||Day care occupancies|
|Section 467:||Hospice inpatient facilities and units and hospice residences.|
|Section 468:||Schools, colleges and universities|
|Section 469:||Office surgery suite Chapter 30: Elevators and conveying systems|
|Section 3109:||Structures seaward of a coastal construction control line|
Further information concerning the requirements for licensing, maintenance, equipment or other items not related to design and construction may be obtained for all state codes, rules and standards from the State of Florida Bureau of Administrative Codes.
The provisions of this section shall apply to buildings or structures defined herein as covered or open mall buildings not exceeding three floor levels at any point nor more than three stories above grade plane. Except as specifically required by this section, covered and open mall buildings shall meet applicable provisions of this code.
- Foyers and lobbies of Groups B, R-1 and R-2 are not required to comply with this section.
- Buildings need not comply with the provisions of this section where they totally comply with other applicable provisions of this code.
A covered mall building and attached anchor buildings and parking garages shall be surrounded on all sides by a permanent open space or not less than 60 feet (18 288 mm). An open mall building and anchor buildings and parking garages adjoining the perimeter line shall be surrounded on all sides by a permanent open space of not less than 60 feet (18 288 mm).
Exception: The permanent open space of 60 feet (18 288 mm) shall be permitted to be reduced to not less than 40 feet (12 192 mm), provided the following requirements are met:
- The reduced open space shall not be allowed for more than 75 percent of the perimeter of the covered or open mall building and anchor buildings;
- The exterior wall facing the reduced open space shall have a fire-resistance rating of not less than 3 hours;
- Openings in the exterior wall facing the reduced open space shall have opening protectives with a fire protection rating of not less than 3 hours; and
- Group E, H, I or R occupancies are not located within the covered or open mall building or anchor buildings.
- Anchor buildings of not more than three stories above grade plane that have an occupancy classification the same as that permitted for tenants of the mall building shall be separated by 2-hour fire-resistance-rated fire barriers complying with Section 707.
- The exterior walls of anchor buildings separated from an open mall building by an open mall shall comply with Table 602.
An attached garage for the storage of passenger vehicles having a capacity of not more than nine persons and open parking garages shall be considered as a separate building where it is separated from the covered or open mall building or anchor building by not less than 2-hour fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both.
Covered and open mall buildings and buildings connected shall be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, which shall comply with all of the following:
- The automatic sprinkler system shall be complete and operative throughout occupied space in the mall building prior to occupancy of any of the tenant spaces. Unoccupied tenant spaces shall be similarly protected unless provided with approved alternative protection.
- Sprinkler protection for the mall of a covered mall building shall be independent from that provided for tenant spaces or anchor buildings.
- Sprinkler protection for the tenant spaces of an open mall building shall be independent from that provided for anchor buildings.
- Sprinkler protection shall be provided beneath exterior circulation balconies located adjacent to an open mall.
- 1.1. Fire-retardant-treated wood complying with Section 2303.2.
- 1.2. Foam plastics having a maximum heat release rate not greater than 100 kW (105 Btu/h) when tested in accordance with the exhibit booth protocol in UL 1975 or when tested in accordance with NFPA 289 using the 20 kW ignition source.
- 1.3. Aluminum composite material (ACM) meeting the requirements of Class A interior finish in accordance with Chapter 8 when tested as an assembly in the maximum thickness intended.
- Kiosks or similar structures located within the mall shall be provided with approved automatic sprinkler system and detection devices.
- The horizontal separation between kiosks or groupings thereof and other structures within the mall shall be not less than 20 feet (6096 mm).
- Each kiosk or similar structure or groupings thereof shall have an area not greater than 300 square feet (28 m2).
Where the total floor area is greater than 50,000 square feet (4645 m2) within either a covered mall building or within the perimeter line of an open mall building, an emergency voice/alarm communication system shall be provided.
In determining required means of egress of the mall, the number of occupants for whom means of egress are to be provided shall be based on gross leasable area of the covered or open mall building (excluding anchor buildings) and the occupant load factor as determined by Equation 4-1.
Exception: Tenant spaces attached to a covered or open mall building but with a means of egress system that is totally independent of the open mall of an open mall building or of a covered mall building shall not be considered as gross leasable area for determining the required means of egress for the mall building.