1. Where such required elements or devices are being altered or repaired, adequate substitute provisions shall be made.
2. Maintenance of such elements and devices is not required when the existing building is not occupied.
Pedestrians shall be protected during construction, remodeling and demolition activities as required by this chapter and Table 3306.1. Signs shall be provided to direct pedestrian traffic.
PROTECTION OF PEDESTRIANS
|HEIGHT OF |
|DISTANCE FROM CONSTRUCTION TO LOT LINE||TYPE OF PROTECTION REQUIRED|
|8 feet or less||Less than 5 feet||Construction railings|
|5 feet or more||None|
|More than 8 feet||Less than 5 feet||Barrier and covered walkway|
|5 feet or more, but not more than one-fourth the height of construction||Barrier and covered walkway|
|5 feet or more, but between one-fourth and one-half the height of construction||Barrier|
|5 feet or more, but exceeding one-half the height of construction||None|
Covered walkways shall have a clear height of not less than 8 feet (2438 mm) as measured from the floor surface to the canopy overhead. Adequate lighting shall be provided at all times. Covered walkways shall be designed to support all imposed loads. In no case shall the design live load be less than 150 psf (7.2 kN/m2) for the entire structure.
7. A curb which is not less than 2-inch by 4-inch (51 mm by 102 mm) shall be set on edge along the outside edge of the deck.
All structures under construction, alteration or demolition shall be provided with no fewer than one approved portable fire extinguisher in accordance with Section 906 and sized for not less than ordinary hazard as follows:
1. At each stairway on all floor levels where combustible materials have accumulated.
2. In every storage and construction shed.
3. Additional portable fire extinguishers shall be provided where special hazards exist, such as the storage and use of flammable and combustible liquids.