Heads up: There are no amended sections in this chapter.
The handling or storage of chemicals in laboratory buildings, laboratory units, and laboratory work areas whether located above or below grade shall comply with this chapter. Construction and protection of new laboratories shall also comply with NFPA 45, Standard on Fire Protection for Laboratories Using Chemicals.
Chapter 26 shall not apply to the following:
- *Laboratories for which the following apply:
- *Laboratories that are pilot plants
- Laboratories that handle only chemicals with a hazard rating of 0 or 1, as defined by NFPA 704, Standard System for the Identification of the Hazards of Materials for Emergency Response, for all of the following: health, flammability, and instability
- Laboratories that are primarily manufacturing plants
- Incidental testing facilities
- Physical, electronic, instrument, laser, or similar laboratories that use chemicals only for incidental purposes, such as cleaning
- *Hazards associated with radioactive materials, as covered by NFPA 801, Standard for Fire Protection for Facilities Handling Radioactive Materials
- Laboratories that work only with explosive material, as covered by NFPA 495, Explosive Materials Code [45:1.1.2]
Chapter 26 contains requirements, but not all-inclusive requirements, for handling and storage of chemicals where laboratory-scale operations are conducted and shall not cover the following:
Fire prevention, maintenance, and emergency action plans and procedures shall be established.