For the purpose of this chapter, certain terms are defined as follows:
CUT. See Excavation.
EXCAVATION. The removal of earth material by artificial means, also referred to as a cut.
FENCE. A structure of temporary or semi-permanent material such as wrought iron, wire, wood, screen, vinyl, plastic, etc., erected for purposes of enclosure, division of property or decoration.
FILL. The placement of earth materials by artificial means.
RETAINING WALL. Any wall that is used to resist the lateral displacement of earth or any other material with a difference in elevation of the material from one side to the other exceeding 24 inches (610 mm) in height.
- The name and address of the owner of the real property upon which the fence, wall and/or retaining wall is to be located.
- The type of material to be used for construction of the fence, wall, and/or retaining wall.
- The total length, height and square footage of each fence, wall and/or retaining wall.
- The authorized agent to perform construction.
- A dimensioned drawing that identifies the location of each fence, wall and/or retaining wall with respect to the property or lot lines, easements, streets, other rights-of-way. Existing construction and drainage features shall be clearly identified on the drawings.
- The location of all light standards, gas and water meters, and fire hydrants.
- Other information deemed pertinent by the building official.
Drawings and specifications required for retaining walls shall be prepared by a registered design professional. The design shall be in accordance with the applicable chapters of the IBC. Rockery walls shall be designed in accordance with the IBC and the Southern Nevada Building Officials Rockery Wall Construction Standards.
Drawings or specifications for fences and walls need not be submitted unless required by the building official. Drawings and specifications shall be submitted for retaining walls showing that the retaining wall is designed in accordance with this code.
- No fence, wall and/or retaining wall shall be placed within a right-of-way unless granted permission by the authority having jurisdiction.
- The height and location of a fence, wall and/or retaining wall shall comply with all zoning ordinances and regulations of the authority having jurisdiction.
- Fences, walls and/or retaining walls shall be constructed in accordance with published standards of the department or agency having authority of utility easements, when located within a utility easement for any light standard, gas meter, water meter, or fire hydrant.
- Special inspection, if required, shall be in accordance with the IBC. Rockery walls shall require special inspection in accordance with the IBC and the Southern Nevada Building Officials Rockery Wall Construction Guidelines.
- All footings shall be inspected to verify location to property line, structures, and compliance to the approved plans and permit. Footings shall be excavated and cast against the earth.
- Concrete foundations shall not be placed until footings have been inspected and approved by the building official.
- No wall and/or retaining wall shall be grouted until the reinforcing required has been inspected and approved by the building official.
- No retaining wall shall be backfilled until verification of the dampproofing, when required, and drainage has been inspected and approved by the building official.