Where any components in this chapter are not maintained and do not function as intended or do not have the fire resistance required by the code under which the building was constructed, remodeled or altered, such component(s) or portion thereof shall be deemed an unsafe condition, in accordance with Section 110.1.1. Components or portions thereof determined to be unsafe shall be repaired or replaced to conform to that code under which the building was constructed, remodeled, altered or this chapter, as deemed appropriate by the fire code official.
Where the extent of the conditions of components is such that any building, structure or portion thereof presents an imminent danger to the occupants of the building, structure or portion thereof, the fire code official shall act in accordance with Section 110.2.
The following terms are defined in Chapter 2:
FIRE-RESISTANT JOINT SYSTEM.
Where required by the fire code official, a sign shall be permanently displayed on or near each fire door in letters not less than 1 inch (25 mm) high to read as follows:
- For doors designed to be kept normally open: FIRE DOOR—DO NOT BLOCK.
- For doors designed to be kept normally closed: FIRE DOOR—KEEP CLOSED.
Where installed on the exterior walls of high-rise buildings, exterior graphics, both permanent and temporary, greater than 100 square feet in area or greater than 10 feet in either dimension shall comply with the following conditions subject to the review and approval of the fire code official and building official:
- The materials used for graphics installed at a height greater than 40 feet above the grade plane shall be noncombustible materials or shall have a flame spread index not greater than 25 when tested in accordance with ASTM E84 or UL 723.
- The method of attachment and mounting of the graphics to the exterior wall shall be such that the graphics are securely attached.
- The graphics shall not interfere with the active or passive ventilation required for the building and the required smoke control systems in the building.
- The graphics shall not impair the functions of any fire or life safety systems in the building.