The following words and terms shall, for the purposes of this chapter and as used elsewhere in this code, have the meaning shown herein.
panels, studs, floor joists, roof joists and other structural elements.. That type of construction made up entirely or in part of steel structural members cold formed to shape from sheet or strip steel such as roof deck, floor and wall
. Any steel structural member of a building or structure made of hot-rolled or cold-formed solid or open-web sections, or riveted or welded bars, strip or sheet steel members, or slotted and expanded, or otherwise deformed rolled sections.
steel joist members.. Any steel structural member of a building or structure consisting of a rolled steel structural shape other than cold-formed steel, or
1. SJI CJ-1.0
2. SJI K-1.1
3. SJI LH/DLH-1.1
4. SJI JG-1.1
The registered design professional shall indicate on the construction documents the steel joist and/or steel joist girder designations from the specifications listed in Section 2206.1 and shall indicate the requirements for joist and joist girder design, layout, end supports, anchorage, non-SJI standard bridging, bridging termination connections and bearing connection design to resist uplift and lateral loads. These documents shall indicate special requirements as follows:
1. Special loads including:
1.1. Concentrated loads;
1.2. Nonuniform loads;
1.3. Net uplift loads;
1.4. Axial loads;
1.5. End moments; and
1.6. Connection forces.
2. Special considerations including:
2.1. Profiles for nonstandard joist and joist girder configurations (standard joist and joist girder configurations are as indicated in the SJI catalog);
2.2. Oversized or other nonstandard web openings; and
2.3. Extended ends.
3. Deflection criteria for live and total loads for non-SJI standard joists.
The steel joist and joist girder manufacturer shall design the steel joists and/or steel joist girders in accordance with the current SJI specifications and load tables to support the load requirements of Section 2206.2. The registered design professional may require submission of the steel joist and joist girder calculations as prepared by a registered design professional responsible for the product design. If requested by the registered design professional, the steel joist manufacturer shall submit design calculations with a cover letter bearing the seal and signature of the joist manufacturer’s registered design professional. In addition to standard calculations under this seal and signature, submittal of the following shall be included:
1. Non-SJI standard bridging details (e.g. for cantilevered conditions, net uplift, etc.).
2. Connection details for:
2.1. Non-SJI standard connections (e.g. flush-framed or framed connections);
2.2. Field splices; and
2.3. Joist headers.
Steel joist placement plans shall be provided to show the steel joist products as specified on the construction documents and are to be utilized for field installation in accordance with specific project requirements as stated in Section 2206.2. Steel placement plans shall include, at a minimum, the following:
2. Profiles for nonstandard joist and joist girder configurations (standard joist and joist girder configurations are as indicated in the SJI catalog).
3. Connection requirements for:
3.1. Joist supports;
3.2. Joist girder supports;
3.3. Field splices; and
3.4. Bridging attachments.
4. Deflection criteria for live and total loads for non-SJI standard joists.
5. Size, location and connections for all bridging.
6. Joist headers.
The design strength of steel cables shall be determined by the provisions of ASCE 19 except as modified by these provisions.
1. A load factor of 1.1 shall be applied to the prestress force included in T3 and T4 as defined in Section 3.12.
2. In Section 3.2.1, Item (c) shall be replaced with “1.5 T3” and Item (d) shall be replaced with “1.5 T4.”
Replace Section 2.4B1 of ANSI/SDI-NC1.0 with the following:
1. General: The design of the concrete slabs shall be done in accordance with the ACI Building Code Requirements for Reinforced Concrete. The minimum concrete thickness above the top of the deck shall be 11/2 inches (38 mm).