Heads up: There are no amended sections in this chapter.
Whenever unconditioned or semiheated spaces in a building are converted to conditioned spaces, such conditioned spaces shall be brought into compliance with all the applicable requirements of this standard that would apply to the building envelope, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, service water heating, power, lighting, and other systems and equipment of the space as if the building were new.
If any term, part, provision, section, paragraph, subdivision, table, chart, or referenced standard of this standard shall be held unconstitutional, invalid, or ineffective, in whole or in part, such determination shall not be deemed to invalidate any remaining term, part, provision, section, paragraph, subdivision, table, chart, or referenced standard of this standard.
The provisions of this standard shall not be deemed to nullify any provisions of local, state, or federal law. Where there is a conflict between a requirement of this standard and such other law affecting construction of the building, precedence shall be determined by the authority having jurisdiction.
The standards referenced in this standard and listed in Section 12 shall be considered part of the requirements of this standard to the prescribed extent of such reference. Where differences occur between the provision of this standard and referenced standards, the provisions of this standard shall apply. Informative references are cited to acknowledge sources and are not part of this standard. They are identified in Informative Appendix E.
The normative appendices to this standard are considered to be integral parts of the mandatory requirements of this standard, which, for reasons of convenience, are placed apart from all other normative elements.
The informative appendices to this standard and informative notes located within this standard contain additional information and are not mandatory or part of this standard.
When an addition to an existing building cannot comply by itself, trade-offs will be allowed by modification to one or more of the existing components of the existing building. Modeling of the modified components of the existing building and addition shall employ the procedures of Section 11; the addition shall not increase the energy consumption of the existing building plus the addition beyond the energy that would be consumed by the existing building plus the addition if the addition alone did comply.
Alterations of existing buildings shall comply with the provisions of Sections 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, provided, however, that nothing in this standard shall require compliance with any provision of this standard if such compliance will result in the increase of energy consumption of the building.
- A building that has been specifically designated as historically significant by the adopting authority or is listed in The National Register of Historic Places or has been determined to be eligible for listing by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior need not comply with these requirements.
- Where one or more components of an existing building or portions thereof are being replaced, the annual energy consumption of the comprehensive design shall not be greater than the annual energy consumption of a substantially identical design, using the same energy types, in which compliance with the applicable requirements of Sections 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, as provided in Section 188.8.131.52,1, is verified by a design professional by the use of any calculation methods acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction.
Supplemental information necessary to verify compliance with this standard, such as calculations, worksheets, compliance forms, vendor literature, or other data, shall be made available when required by the building official.
All building construction, additions, or alterations subject to the provisions of this standard shall be subject to inspection by the building official, and all such work shall remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved in accordance with the procedures specified by the building official. Items for inspection include at least the following:
- Wall insulation after the insulation and vapor retarder are in place but before concealment
- Roof/ceiling insulation after roof/insulation is in place but before concealment
- Slab/foundation wall after slab/foundation insulation is in place but before concealment
- Fenestration after all glazing materials are in place
- Continuous air barrier after installation but before concealment
- Mechanical systems and equipment and insulation after installation but before concealment
- Electrical equipment and systems after installation but before concealment