2703.10.1 Workstations and Tools
A sprinkler head shall be installed within each branch exhaust connection or individual plenums of workstations of combustible construction. The sprinkler head in the exhaust connection or plenum shall be located not more than 2 feet (610 mm) from the point of the duct connection or the connection to the plenum. Where necessary to prevent corrosion, the sprinkler head and connecting piping in the duct shall be coated with approved or listed corrosion-resistant materials. Access to the sprinkler head shall be provided for periodic inspection.
- Approved alternative automatic fire-extinguishing systems are allowed. Activation of such systems shall deactivate the related processing equipment.
- Process equipment that operates at temperatures exceeding 932°F (500°C) and is provided with automatic shutdown capabilities for hazardous materials.
- Exhaust ducts 10 inches (254 mm) or less in diameter from flammable gas storage cabinets that are part of a workstation.
- Ducts listed or approved for use without internal automatic sprinkler protection.
- An automatic gaseous fire-extinguishing local surface application system shall be allowed as an alternative to sprinklers. Gaseous-extinguishing systems shall be actuated by infrared (IR) or ultraviolet/infrared (UV/IR) optical detectors.
- Tools constructed of materials that are listed as Class 1 or Class 2 in accordance with UL 2360 or approved for use without internal fire-extinguishing system protection.