Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained around all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment in accordance with this section and Figure E3405.1.
- Equipment, piping and ducts foreign to the electrical installation shall not be placed in the shaded areas extending from the floor to a height of 6 feet above the panelboard enclosure, or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower.
- The working space shall be clear and unobstructed from the floor to a height of 6.5 feet or the height of the equipment, whichever is greater.
- The working space shall not be designated for storage.
- Panelboards, service equipment and similar enclosures shall not be located in bathrooms, toilet rooms, clothes closets or over the steps of a stairway.
- Such work spaces shall be provided with artificial lighting where located indoors and shall not be controlled by automatic means only.
FIGURE E3405.1a, b, c, d, e
WORKING SPACE AND CLEARANCES