220.127.116.11 Working Areas in the Pit
(b) a mechanical device to stop vertical car movement to create a vertical clearance as required by 27.4.5 between the floor of the working area and the lowest part of the car, and between the floor of the working area and the counterweight where a counterweight guard in conformance with 2.3.2 is not provided
(1) The mechanical device shall be able to stop vertical car movement at up to and including 115% of rated speed with rated load. The retardation shall not exceed that required by 2.22.3 or 2.22.4, as applicable.
(2) The mechanical device shall be permitted to be moved into the active position manually or automatically.
(3) When the mechanical device is in the active position, it shall operate an electrical contact that, when in the open position, shall permit the car to move only on inspection operation [see 18.104.22.168.1 and 22.214.171.124.1(d)]. The electrical contact shall be positively opened mechanically and its opening shall not depend solely on springs.
(4) A sign in conformance with the requirements of ANSI Z535.2 or CAN/CSA-Z321, whichever is applicable, shall be prominently posted in the work area stating, "WARNING! Position________ before maintaining or inspecting brake, emergency brake, or controller. Follow manufacturer's instructions for use of _______" (see 126.96.36.199).
NOTE: Substitute the actual name of the device for "_________" in the above signage.
(5) The mechanical device shall be designed to prevent accidental movement from the active position.
(6) The mechanical device shall not require electrical power or the completion or maintenance of an electrical circuit to be maintained in the active position.
(a) Where the egress is through the landing door
(1) the landing door shall be openable from the hoistway side
(2) the means shall be arranged to provide vertical clearance of not less than 1220 mm (48 in.) between the bottom edge of the platform guard and the elevator landing