// CODE SNIPPET
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
- Winches and ancillary equipment shall be suitable for a marine environment (N/E).
- Winches shall be provided with a fail-safe braking system, capable of holding the load under all conditions, including a power failure (N/E).
- Winches shall be fully reversible (N).
- Shock, transient and abnormal loads shall be considered when selecting winch systems (N).
- Winches shall have limit switches and automatic trip devices to prevent over-travel of the drum in either direction. Limit switches shall be tested, and demonstrated to function correctly under operating conditions without inducing undue tensions or slack in the winch cables (N/E).
- Under all operating conditions, there shall be at least two full turns of cable on grooved drums, and at least three full turns on ungrooved drums (N/E).
- Moving winch parts which present caught-in hazards to personnel shall be guarded (N/E).
- Winches shall have clearly identifiable and readily accessible stop controls (N/E).