R603.2.6.1 Web Holes
Web holes in wall studs and other structural members shall comply with all of the following conditions:
- Holes shall conform to Figure R603.2.6.1.
- Holes shall be permitted only along the centerline of the web of the framing member.
- Holes shall have a center-to-center spacing of not less than 24 inches (610 mm).
- Holes shall have a web hole width not greater than 0.5 times the member depth, or 11/2 inches (38 mm).
- Holes shall have a web hole length not exceeding 41/2 inches (114 mm).
- Holes shall have a minimum distance between the edge of the bearing surface and the edge of the web hole of not less than 10 inches (254 mm).
Framing members with web holes not conforming to the above requirements shall be reinforced in accordance with Section R603.2.6.2, patched in accordance with Section R603.2.6.3 or designed in accordance with accepted engineering practice.