// CODE SNIPPET
6.4.5 Walk-In Coolers and Walk-In Freezers
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Site-assembled or site-constructed walk-in coolers and walk-in freezers shall conform to the following requirements:
- Shall be equipped with automatic door closers that firmly close walk-in doors that have been closed to within 1 in. of full closure.
- Doorways shall have strip doors (curtains), spring-hinged doors, or other method of minimizing infiltration when doors are open.
- Walk-in coolers shall contain wall, ceiling, and door insulation of at least R-25 and at least R-32 for walk-in freezers.
- Walk-in freezers shall contain floor insulation of at least R-28.
- Evaporator fan motors that are less than 1 hp and less than 460 V shall use electronically commutated motors (brushless direct-current motors) or three-phase motors.
- Lights shall use light sources with an efficacy of 40 lm/W or more, including ballast losses (if any). Light sources with lower may be used in conjunction with a timer or device that turns off the lights within 15 minutes of when the walk-in cooler or walk-in freezer is not occupied by people.
- Transparent reach-in doors for walk-in freezers, and windows in walk-in freezer doors, shall be of triple-pane glass, either filled with inert gas or with heat-reflective treated glass.
- Transparent reach-in doors for walk-in coolers, and windows in walk-in cooler doors, shall be double-pane glass with heat-reflective treated glass and gas filled, or they shall be triple-pane glass, either filled with inert gas or with heat-reflective treated glass.
- Antisweat heaters without antisweat heater controls shall have a total door rail, glass, and frame heater power draw of ≤7.1 W/ft2 of door opening for walk-in freezers and 3.0 W/ft2 of door opening for walk-in coolers.
- Antisweat heater controls shall reduce the energy use of the antisweat heater as a function of the relative humidity in the air outside the door or to the condensation on the inner glass pane.
- Condenser fan motors that are less than 1 hp shall use electronically commutated motors, permanent split-capacitor-type motors, or three-phase motors.
- All walk-in freezers shall incorporate temperature-based defrost termination control with a time limit default. The defrost cycle shall terminate first on an upper temperature limit breach and second upon a time limit breach.
Related Code Sections
6.4.5 Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning, Walk-In Coolers and Walk-In Freezers
Site-assembled or site-constructed walk-in coolers and walk-in freezers shall conform to the following requirements: Shall be equipped ...
Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings 2016 of Illinois > 6 Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning > 6.4 Mandatory Provisions > 6.4.5 Walk-In Coolers and Walk-In Freezers
C403.10.2 [CE] Commercial Energy Efficiency, Walk-In Coolers and Walk-In Freezers (Mandatory)
), C403.10.2.1(2) and C403.10.2.1(3). TABLE C403.10.2.1(1) WALK-IN COOLER AND FREEZER DISPLAY DOOR EFFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS a CLASS DESCRIPTOR ...
2018 Illinois Energy Conservation Code Standards for Privately Funded Commercial Facilities and Standards for Residential Buildings > 4 [CE] Commercial Energy Efficiency > C403 Building Mechanical Systems > C403.10 Refrigeration Equipment Performance > C403.10.2 Walk-In Coolers and Walk-In Freezers (Mandatory)
184.108.40.206.1 Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning,
, " Ventilation Controls for High-Occupancy Areas" only for single-zone equipment 220.127.116.11, "Heated or Cooled Vestibules" 6.4.5, " Walk-In Coolers and Walk ...
Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings 2016 of Illinois > 6 Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning > 6.1 General > 6.1.1 Scope > 18.104.22.168 Alterations to Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration in Existing Buildings > 22.214.171.124.1
2603.4.1.3 Plastic, Walk-In Coolers
is permitted in walk-in coolers or freezer units where the aggregate floor area does not exceed 400 square feet (37 m 2 ) and the foam plastic is covered ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 26 Plastic > 2603 Foam Plastic Insulation > 2603.4 Thermal Barrier > 2603.4.1 Thermal Barrier Not Required > 2603.4.1.3 Walk-In Coolers
1103.2.14 Accessibility, Walk-In Coolers and Freezers
Walk-in cooler and freezer equipment accessed only from employee work areas is not required to comply with this chapter ...
Building Code 2018 of Illinois > 11 Accessibility > 1103 Scoping Requirements > 1103.2 General Exceptions > 1103.2.14 Walk-In Coolers and Freezers