319.12 Voluntary Modifications to the Lateral-Force Resisting System
Where modifications of existing structural components and additions of new structural components are initiated for the purpose of improving the lateral-force resisting strength or stiffness of an existing structure and they are not required by other sections of this code, then they are permitted to be designed to meet an approved seismic performance criteria provided that an engineering analysis is submitted that follows:
- The capacity of existing structural components required to resist forces is not reduced, unless it can be demonstrated that reduced capacity meets the requirements of Section 319.8.
- The lateral loading to or strength requirement of existing structural components is not increased beyond their capacity.
- New structural components are detailed and connected to the existing structural components as required by the California Building Code.
- New or relocated nonstructural components are detailed and connected to existing or new structural components as required by the California Building Code.
- A dangerous condition is not created.
Use of ASCE 41 Tier 1 and Tier 2 deficiency only retrofit procedures are pre-approved for use where Section 317.3 does not require an assessment.
[BSC] Voluntary modifications to lateral force-resisting systems conducted in accordance with Appendix A of this code and the referenced standards of the California Building Code shall be permitted.