Fasteners used in deck ledger connections in accordance with Table R507.9.1.3(1) shall be hot-dipped galvanized or stainless steel and shall be installed in accordance with Table R507.9.1.3(2) and Figures R507.9.1.3(1) and R507.9.1.3(2).
DECK LEDGER CONNECTION TO BAND JOISTa, b(Deck live load = 40 psf, deck dead load = 10 psf, snow load ≤ 40 psf)
|CONNECTION DETAILS||JOIST SPAN|
|6' and less||6'1" to 8'||8'1" to 10'||10'1" to 12'||12'1" to 14'||14'1" to 16'||16'1" to 18'|
|On-center spacing of fasteners|
|1/2-inch diameter lag screw with 1/2-inch |
maximum sheathingc, d
|1/2-inch diameter bolt with 1/2-inch maximum |
|1/2-inch diameter bolt with 1-inch maximum |
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 pound per square foot = 0.0479 kPa.
- Ledgers shall be flashed in accordance with Section R703.4 to prevent water from contacting the house band joist.
- Snow load shall not be assumed to act concurrently with live load.
- The tip of the lag screw shall fully extend beyond the inside face of the band joist.
- Sheathing shall be wood structural panel or solid sawn lumber.
- Sheathing shall be permitted to be wood structural panel, gypsum board, fiberboard, lumber or foam sheathing. Up to 1/2-inch thickness of stacked washers shall be permitted to substitute for up to 1/2 inch of allowable sheathing thickness where combined with wood structural panel or lumber sheathing.
PLACEMENT OF LAG SCREWS AND BOLTS IN DECK LEDGERS AND BAND JOISTS
|MINIMUM END AND EDGE DISTANCES AND SPACING BETWEEN ROWS|
|TOP EDGE||BOTTOM EDGE||ENDS||ROW SPACING|
|Ledgera||2 inchesd||3/4 inch||2 inchesb||15/8 inchesb|
|Band Joistc||3/4 inch||2 inches||2 inchesb||15/8 inchesb|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm.
- Lag screws or bolts shall be staggered from the top to the bottom along the horizontal run of the deck ledger in accordance with Figure R507.9.1.3(1).
- Maximum 5 inches.
- For engineered rim joists, the manufacturer's recommendations shall govern.
- The minimum distance from bottom row of lag screws or bolts to the top edge of the ledger shall be in accordance with Figure R507.9.1.3(1).