One in every eight accessible spaces, but not less than one, shall be van accessible and shall be constructed in accordance with the following:
Each van-accessible parking space shall be 17 feet (5181 mm) wide minimum, and shall provide either of the following:
- 1.1. A 12-foot (3658 mm) wide minimum parking area and a 5-foot (1524 mm) wide minimum loading and unloading access aisle.
- 1.2. A 9-foot (2743 mm) wide minimum parking area and an 8-foot (2438 mm) wide minimum loading and unloading access aisle.
Access aisles shall be located on the passenger side of the vehicle with the vehicle parked in the forward position, and shall extend the full required length of the parking spaces they serve.
- The minimum length of each space shall be 18 feet (5486 mm).
- Each space shall be designated “van accessible” as required by Section 1109A.8.8.
- All van accessible spaces may be grouped on one level of a multilevel parking facility.
The loading and unloading access aisle shall be marked by a border painted blue. Within the blue border, hatched lines a maximum of 36 inches (914 mm) on center shall be painted a color contrasting with the parking surface, preferably blue or white. The words “NO PARKING” shall be painted on the ground within each loading and unloading access aisle. This notice shall be painted in white letters no less than 12 inches (305 mm) high and located so that it is visible from the adjacent vehicular way.
Note: See Figures 11A-2A, 11A-2B and 11A-2C.