- Where the premises have been cleared of all combustible materials and debris and, in the opinion of the fire code official, the type of construction, fire separation distance and security of the premises do not create a fire hazard.
- Where approved by the fire chief, buildings that will not be heated and where fire protection systems will be exposed to freezing temperatures, fire alarm and sprinkler systems are permitted to be placed out of service and standpipes are permitted to be maintained as dry systems (without an automatic water supply), provided the building has no contents or storage, and windows, doors and other openings are secured to prohibit entry by unauthorized persons.
Persons owning, or in charge or control of, a vacant building or portion thereof, shall remove therefrom all accumulations of combustible materials, flammable or combustible waste or rubbish and shall securely lock or otherwise secure doors, windows and other openings to prevent entry by unauthorized persons. The premises shall be maintained clear of waste or hazardous materials.
The design of the placards shall use the following symbols:
- This symbol shall mean that the structure had normal structural conditions at the time of marking.
- This symbol shall mean that structural or interior hazards exist and interior fire-fighting or rescue operations should be conducted with extreme caution.
- This symbol shall mean that structural or interior hazards exist to a degree that consideration should be given to limit fire fighting to exterior operations only, with entry only occurring for known life hazards.
- 4.1. R/O—Roof open
- 4.2. S/M—Stairs, steps and landing missing
- 4.3. F/E—Avoid fire escapes
- 4.4. H/F—Holes in floor
Unoccupied tenant spaces in covered and open mall buildings shall be:
- Kept free from the storage of any materials.
- Separated from the remainder of the building by partitions of not less than 0.5-inch-thick (12.7 mm) gypsum board or an approved equivalent to the underside of the ceiling of the adjoining tenant spaces.
- Without doors or other access openings other than one door that shall be kept key locked in the closed position except during that time when opened for inspection.
- Kept free from combustible waste and be broomswept clean.