2.2.2 Using the General Procedure
The general procedure involving use of the set of evaluation statements presented in the Appendix consists of the following steps:
- Evaluate the basic building system according to the evaluation statements in Article 3;
- Evaluate the vertical systems resisting lateral forces according to Article 4 (moment frames), Article 5 (shear walls) or Article 6 (braced frames) as appropriate. For buildings with a combination of vertical systems, each system in the building must be evaluated;
- Evaluate the diaphragm or horizontal bracing system according to Article 7;
- Evaluate the structural connections according to Article 8;
- Evaluate the foundation and possible geologic site hazards according to Article 9;
- Evaluate the nonstructural elements that involve immediate life-safety issues according to Article 10; and
- Evaluate the critical nonstructural components and systems according to Article 11.
If a statement is found to be true, the condition being evaluated is acceptable according to the criteria of these regulations, and the issue may be set aside. If a statement is found to be false, a condition exists that needs to be addressed further, using the specified analysis procedures. Analysis procedures are given in Section 2.4. Each statement includes a reference to a particular section in Articles 3 through 10 where additional procedures for the resolution of the issues are given. The evaluator shall assemble the list of deficiencies and the results of the analysis and proceed to the final evaluation in Section 2.5.