Each machine shall be equipped with an individual dust-separating unit.
- One separator is allowed to serve two dust-producing units on multiunit machines.
- One separator is allowed to serve not more than four portable dust-producing units in a single enclosure or stand.
Fire-extinguishing materials shall be provided for every operator performing machining, grinding or other processing operation on magnesium in accordance with either of the following:
- Within 30 feet (9144 mm), a supply of extinguishing materials in an approved container with a hand scoop or shovel for applying the material.
- Within 75 feet (22 860 mm), a portable fire extinguisher complying with Section 906.
All extinguishing materials shall be approved for use on magnesium fires. Where extinguishing materials are stored in cabinets or other enclosed areas, the enclosures shall be openable without the use of a key or special knowledge.
- Titanium and zirconium chips, turnings, and fines shall be stored in covered steel containers and limited to 50 pounds (23 kg) per container.
- Titanium and zirconium chips, turnings, and fines shall be stored in an approved outside location, or in a detached scrap-storage building, or in a special scrap-storage room of fire-resistive construction. Such rooms or buildings shall be constructed in accordance with Chapter 9 of the LAMC (Building Code).
- Titanium and zirconium chips, turnings, and fines shall be stored in piles one container high with a total of 500 pounds (230 kg) maximum per pile.
- Every pile shall be separated from every other pile by an aisle at least 5 feet (1525 mm) wide to facilitate the removal of containers.
- Storage areas shall be separated from other occupancies by appropriate fire-resistive construction without openings or by an open space of at least 50 feet (15 240 mm).
- All chips, turnings, and fines shall be separated from all combustible storage, flammable solids, flammable and combustible liquids, dangerous chemicals, and corrosive liquids.
- No open flame or spark-producing device shall be permitted in operating, storage, or disposal areas. The above areas shall be clearly posted with "No Smoking" signs in accordance with Section 310 of this article.
- A permit is required in accordance with Section 105.6 of this article when the quantities exceed the exempt amount of combustible metals in Table 105.6.14.