5705.3.8 Use, Dispensing and Handling Outside of Buildings
Dispensing activities that exceed the quantities set forth in Table 5705.3.8.2 shall not be conducted within 15 feet (4572 mm) of buildings or combustible materials or within 25 feet (7620 mm) of building openings, lot lines, public streets, public alleys or public ways. Dispensing activities that exceed the quantities set forth in Table 5705.3.8.2 shall not be conducted within 15 feet (4572 mm) of storage of Class I, II or III liquids unless such liquids are stored in tanks that are listed and labeled as 2-hour protected tank assemblies in accordance with UL 2085.
- The requirements shall not apply to areas where only the following are dispensed: Class III liquids; liquids that are heavier than water; water-miscible liquids; and liquids with viscosities greater than 10,000 centipoise (cp) (10 Pa • s).
- Flammable and combustible liquid dispensing in refineries, chemical plants, process facilities, gas and crude oil production facilities and oil-blending and packaging facilities, terminals and bulk plants.
|CLASS OF LIQUID||QUANTITY (gallons)|
|Combination Class IA, IB and IC||30c|
For SI: 1 gallon = 3.785 L.
- For definition of "Outdoor Control Area," see Section 202.
- The fire code official is authorized to impose special conditions regarding locations, types of containers, dispensing units, fire control measures and other factors involving fire safety.
- Containing not more than the maximum allowable quantity per control area of each individual class.