Article 340 Underground Feeder and Branch-Circuit Cable: Type UF
Underground Feeder and Branch-Circuit Cable, Type UF. A factory assembly of one or more insulated conductors with an integral or an overall covering of nonmetallic material suitable for direct burial in the earth.
- For use underground, including direct burial in the earth.
- As single-conductor cables. Where installed as single-conductor cables, all conductors of the feeder or branch circuit, including the grounded conductor and equipment grounding conductor, if any, shall be installed in accordance with 300.3.
- For wiring in wet, dry, or corrosive locations.
- Installed as nonmetallic-sheathed cable. Where so installed, the installation and conductor requirements shall comply with Parts II and III of Article 334 and shall be of the multiconductor type.
- As single-conductor cables as the nonheating leads for heating cables as provided in 424.43.
- Supported by cable trays. Type UF cable supported by cable trays shall be of the multiconductor type.
Informational Note: See 310.14(A)(3) for temperature limitation of conductors.
- As service-entrance cable
- In commercial garages
- In theaters and similar locations
- In motion picture studios
- In storage battery rooms
- In hoistways or on elevators or escalators
- In hazardous (classified) locations, except as specifically permitted by other articles in this Code
- Embedded in poured cement, concrete, or aggregate, except where embedded in plaster as nonheating leads where permitted in 424.43
- Where exposed to direct rays of the sun, unless identified as sunlight resistant
Informational Note: The sunlight-resistant marking on the jacket does not apply to the individual conductors.
- Where subject to physical damage
- As overhead cable, except where installed as messenger-supported wiring in accordance with Part II of Article 396